Xantia Alarm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparkyjack

Xantia Alarm

Post by sparkyjack »

Don't you just love intermittent faults!
Got an intermittent problem with my alarm (activates during driving in damp or wet weather) Tried all the usual suggestions without success. Visited the main dealers but because the fault wasn't showing at the time they couldn't do anything. Anyway, the alarm expert confidently informed me that the problem was almost certainly the result of a poor earth. I have looked at every earth connection I can find and they all look good - my question is, has anyone had problems with an earth connection that is hidden away somewhere?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i know you said you tried all the usual stuff but as it happens when its wet have you checked theres no water leaking into the alarm ECU under the left hand seat ? I think the earths are in the left hand footwell.
sparkyjack

Post by sparkyjack »

Thanks Wheeler,
Yes been there...dry as a bone actually - at least under the seat, had the little black box out and it is very dry. No sign of any water ingress at all. Things have just got a little worse - picked up four of my mates on a red hot day and their sweaty bodies actually set the bloody thing off. So the bad earth theory seems a little thin. Looks like the 'short' is happening inside the cabin.
The search goes on...
How can they spoil such a magnificent car with such crap electronics..
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

My R reg Xantia has also developed this fault. Always in the evening. Could change of temperature be anything to do with it?
SGould

Post by SGould »

My R reg Xantia had been doing the same thing in the evening all through this winter but stopped during the summer. I am not sure why but it is interesting to know that it happens to others. One thing that it could be related to is the central locking. My driver's door lock kept getting stuck and I had it replaced and I think the problem might have been cured by this.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

My 97P Xantia has been doing the same thing for the last 2 years and occurs especially after a spot of rain or during unsettled periods. In fact I was so annoyed with it that I just resorted to switching the system to doors locks (pet switch second from right) only which cures the problem.
Checked the earthing at the time and dryness but to no avail. Since then I have assumed that any build up in condensation affects the internal movement sensors. But I could be wrong.
Like you Sparky, it amazes me how such a nice car coould be spoilt in this way. What's even worse for me is that I've got a model where they experimented with a close arming system so that you have to be right up against the car before being allowed to arm/disarm the alarm and central locking. Apparently, Citroen decided to do this for a year because they felt it was a safety issue. I understand they soon reverted bak to the old system after several complaints. Have you heard any more on this?
sparkyjack

Post by sparkyjack »

Hi Kafkaian,
No - never heard of that system - God, I thought it was complicated already with the number of apparent variations.
I have wondered about the sensors, not least because I have to deactivate them whenever I set the alarm and, I suppose, they are 'open' to condensation. Does anyone know how to disable them during normal driving or perhaps disconnect them easily? (or does that sound stupid?)
After all this is all a bit of straw clutching but you would think you would be able to access a decent diagramatic illustration of the damn system.
Thanks for all the replies by the way.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">my question is, has anyone had problems with an earth connection that is hidden away somewhere?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font size="3"> If I find anything Sparky, I'll put it on a website and give you a link and reminder[:D]</font id="size3">