ABS Sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Niek
My Cars:

ABS Sensor

Post by Niek »

Hi guys,
My front left hand ABS sensor is dead. I tried removing the bolt that holds it in place but it sheared off (probably going to drill it out). But before I go through all that trouble, who knows where the connector connecting the sensor to the system is? All I see is the sensor with a rubberish boot over it, the bolt seems to hold the sensor in place by through the boot.
For all of you smartasses [:D], I measured the resistance at the big connector directly on the ecu (behind the left headlight), three were around 1.07 ohms, the fourth infinite.
She's a '95 Xm 2.0i 16v.
Cheers,
Niek.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Niek -
1.07ohms - did you use laboratory measuring equipment [:D][:D]
The sensors should be some 1Kohms ??? - how did you connect to measure the sensors ???
As for the sheared bolt :
Any chance a few millimeters protrude ?
This last weekend I finished off a headgasket job on a n/a 19RD.
One of the top bolts sheared during removal - much to my panic [xx(]
With the head levered off (a real trial [:(]) - the sheared bolt protruded some 20mm from the block. Was impossible to move with a Stilson.
Prepared to wireweld on a large nut -
But by DaveBurn's advice first tried the good old prooven trick :
Rustloosener (over night) - and then my pressure air chisel anglewise on the stud - to hammer vibrate it.
The rust gunk simply vibrated out the threads around the stud.
Could'nt get my stilson to grip - untill I realised it was the stud that turned [:D][:D]
- it simply winded up by gentle hand force [8D]
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Alright alright it probably should have been K-ohms [:I] I think the value should be around 1 Kohms because it seems very unlikely [^] that fout sensors broke down at the same time...
I disconnected the large connector of the ABS ecu and with help of a dutch manual measured the spade connectors corresponding to the different sensors.
Thing is though if I can't unplug the sensor and measure the wire I won't know if it's the wire at fault or the sensor.
The bolt protrudes a little at the back, I have very little room there though. But if the sensor comes out with the rubber boot on it the bolt should be protruding by about 5 mms...
I'll try WD40 or something on it, but still have to get the sensor out first thoug???
Niek
ps: the one Bx headgasket I did (last december went absolutely smooth, never knew it could be so easy.. (hope I'll never need to do it again though
Kered

Post by Kered »

The sensor consists of a coil of wire wound round a square core. This core protudes from the sensor housing and nearly touches the ABS toothed ring. I'm not sure if the core is magnetic or not - probably is so that the ABS toothed ring generates a pulse for every tooth. But what I am sure about is that there are no electronic parts at all in the sensor. (Took 1 to bits out of interest after it failed).
The chances are that it is the cable that has broken, after all, it has to flex one heck of a lot in use!
Kered
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had 3 sensors fail on my BX and re-wired the 2 back ones in situ as I couldn't get them out.
I used co-ax cable with a MULTICORE centre condustor (not TV ariel cable), and carefully soldered both the condustor and the screen, insulating in between. My problem was that the screen had corroded and I cut back until the circuit was complete. One is still working 3 years later, one rear sensor itself failed 4 months ago and a front one had to be re-wired again as I allowed the new wire to kink.
Follow the wires and you should find some joint plugs. The BX ones areunder the rear seat and near to the bulkhead.
Jeremy
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I have a similar problem with my F.R. I had a R.L problem before the last MOT, the cable was chafing on the tyre, so I cut it, soldered it, and used insulating tape - it was a very high-tech solution, but it's still working one year on !
I may take a look at the F.R this weekend, but only after I've sorted my R.R. caliper out ( see other thread ! ).
Niek
My Cars:

Post by Niek »

Ok can anyone confirm that for the Bendix type ABS the plug for the sensor isn't actually on the sensor itself though?
Cheers,
Niek