Xantia indicators flash like hazard warnings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dangerousbrian
My Cars:

Xantia indicators flash like hazard warnings

Post by dangerousbrian »

Any idea’s to my problem xantia 1.816v 1996 dimension
When I operated the steering column stalk to indicate, both the indicators flash like hazard warnings.
Noticed When i open the central locking doors using the Blipper, usually the indicators flash, but no flashing anymore, under the passenger seat there’s the normal ticking noise, which I normally relate to the flashing of the indicators.
Harzards working fine, Alarm working ok, think I’m right in saying that when alarm goes off just main light’s flash as indicators don’t on mine!, noticed when you disconnect the battery & reconnect it the hazard’s normally flashed on for a second but don’t do this unless I disconnect & reconnect a few times.
Could it be the Alarm box under the passenger seat, I had a feel of it & feels dry before I’m thinking of taking out the seat, I just want my indicators back working, can you disconnect alarm, is there a fuse I can pull to see the affect on the indicators F28,F19 is on the Haynes diagram for indicators, not sure what alarm fuse is & what effect would be of disconnected Alarm ECU
1996"N" Xantia Dimension Series MK1, 1.8 16v JP4 LFY
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Xantia indicators flash like hazard warnings

Post by myglaren »

Could be a faulty hazard light switch. They are known for this. Dirty/corroded contacts usually but may be contacts welded together.
Operate the switch 'til your finger drops of, it may cure it.
dangerousbrian
My Cars:

Post by dangerousbrian »

I will have a go with the Hazard Switch to try & hopefully make the steering column stalk to indicate Correctly, relay tick tocks nicely, but if you indicate left or right you get both directions, very strange, Much appreciated with any ideas
dangerousbrian
My Cars:

Post by dangerousbrian »

Wahooooo...myglaren Thanks very much!!, The hazard Switch trick did the job tonight, strange that it was this as I never use that switch, I can enjoy my Xantia now, she's only done 82,000 & i had her from new, such a great car & will enjoy driving down to minehead Butlins at easter with family, i have learned a lot reading on this forum about Xantia's & this has helped me maintain the car to a good standard & I can relate to most of the jobs described on here, worst job I will not forget in a hurry that I did was changing the rear disc's, This went ok until one of the Big Caliper bolts sheared off, drilling out the old seized bolt was not easy, if any one has to do this it can be done, I Started by using smaller drills & finally a Colbalt 7.8mm drill & M9 X 1.25 Tap to do the job, it’s hard getting hold of a 1.25 pitch tap, worst bit it was snowing at the time... THANKS AGAIN
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Hi, I couldn't help but notice there you had the same issue I had. The caliper bolts shearing off!! Drilled hole through centre of stump, tapped then tap broke in the stump. Took a whole day to drill, file and heat the swine till all the original bolt was out. Snowing also!
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback
dangerousbrian
My Cars:

Post by dangerousbrian »

with regard to the tap, i got hold of a first, second tap & plug tap in the 1.25 pitch, lucky next door had a set as i didn't have that pitch size & correct drill size, if that tap would of broke like yours did, i don't know how you drill a tap out.
Derekofpriory
My Cars:

Post by Derekofpriory »

Hi, Off the original topic but for what it may be worth to others I was for 20 years employed as a civvy with a R.E.M.E. workshop. Broken taps were a common problem, and I have never drilled one out-most are made from High Speed steel - which doesn't really soften until getting on towards red heat, a carbide tipped drill could be reground to suit and may cut HSS at elevated temperatures. I always chipped them out by slowly breaking up the remains of the broken tap with the shank end of other busted taps ground to a chisel shape. Much patience required so as not to make the thread so oversize or damaged that it would require heli-coiling, but if the bit of kit is worth the time it may take chipping is the way to go.
cheers Derek B.
P.S. There are items called tap extractors, basically three or four small small fingers that slide out of a body that can be turned with a tap wrench, I never had much luck with them, but they do exist!
our car spent Friday afternoon and Monday morning in the electrics area of the Factory!!
fotobright

Post by fotobright »

Hi, your absolutely right i'd forgotton that we had mostly used a punch to chip away at the bolt and tap stump and a then a rotary carbide file (several) mounted on a drill to very slowly burr a hole through the tap and then break it down, taking care not to loose the thread.
Peugoet 207 SW Hdi 1.6 live*
C5 2.2L HDi 16v estate (01)
Xsara Hdi 90 estate
Xantia 1.9TD estate, (veg oil)
Zx 1.9TD hatchback
Zx 1.9D hatchback