filters - change times

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunthesheep
My Cars:

filters - change times

Post by shaunthesheep »

i've just changed oil & filter change, air & fuel filters.
i've checked my list is when i done the above last & i'm quite shocked that haynes say that fuel & air filter should be changed every 36000 miles[:0][:0], surly this can't be right.[?]
most of my driving is done on a dual carrageway at @ 70mph[}:)], plus a little town driving.
whats millages do the rest of you change the above?
also it says quote "check the brake pads at 18000 miles & replace if necesary"
dom
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

I do the lot every 5/6k when I do the oil.
Price of them from GSF is so low it seems pointless leaving them so long.
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

I do the oil change every 6k & the way i remember is that if you can divide the mileage by six it's time & the fuel& air every 12k & it is all written up in a small book(diary)& i know how much every car has cost me(& this one is a fortune so far)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I can't follow the logic of Citroen or Haynes with these mythical "extended service intervals" they go on with. The only obvious reason I can see is that it ensures that the cars will wear out sooner without them having to build obselesence into the design as the Japanese have managed to so successfully do. This way it's akin to DIY self destruction.[:0][B)]
Oils have a limited life span, these days due mainly to contamination. The oil companies with all due respects to them & mainly based on competition rather than a philanthropic desire to help the motoring public, have developed oils to extremely high standards as regards their ability to withstand all kinds of stresses. However, the best oil in the world won't stop metal & dirt particles from grinding great grooves in a crankshaft or grinding a bore out when trapped between it & the pistons. I've also found some fairly acidic deposits swimming around in breathers & filtration systems merrily gobbling things up along the way.
I tend to use only top quality oils of the grades as recommended by both manufacturer & oil company and as soon as the oil begins to smell & look stuffed, change it. I do this because I feel that it is impossible to put a mileage on these intervals due to driving & climatic conditions. Some times in my CX, I drive about half the time on dirt whilst at others it's all in town driving. Dry conditions caused air filters to clog up reasonably quickly whilst wet seems to cause condensation, hence moisture contamination of the oil.
I normally look at about 6 - 8,000 klms oil change using fully synthetic oil as an average, although I have gone both over & under on occasions depending on the above factors.
Filters; I usually do an oil filter with each oil change and air filters I change again based on obvious appearance & driving conditions over the period. A partially blocked air filter will substantially increase fuel consumption and affect performance so at first signs of choking up, replace it.
I can't help but sit back & laugh when I see these car manufacturers breast beating about being environmentally responsible yet recommend actions that will increase fuel consumption as well as use non renewable resources in the manufacture of more vehicles; after all, the most important renewable resource they're interested in is the bottom line of the balance sheet. [}:)][:D]
Alan S
P.S. If the above sounds a bit extravagent, then check up on the cost of a new engine supplied & fitted and consider the total real cost of replacing a vehicle; makes oil & filters look a very cheap option doesn't it? [8D]