2003 vtr/vts running rough and wont rev above 6000rpm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

projectsaxo

2003 vtr/vts running rough and wont rev above 6000rpm

Post by projectsaxo »

hi need serious help here,, i'm on the verge of setting the thing on fire!!

2003 3 plug vts with new ebay unlocked ecu

first problem - when i first start the car it really really struggles to get up to rev's on choke.

second problem - once running and up to temperature she splutters and farts and fouls th plugs up in no time.

third problem - when i floor it the car will not rev more than 5800-6000rpm and no matter what i do i cannot figure out why.

fourth problem - https://www.facebook.com/groups/fcsm...0576874395668/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; incase you cant view the image,, i have some wire on the engine loom that dont have plugs on them,, all plugs on the engine are catered for,, these wires are pink, grey and there is a small 1mm 2 core and screen with red and green wires i dont know what the hell there for.

please help me before i do set this thing on fire in the street as it trying my patience big time
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 2003 vtr/vts running rough and wont rev above 6000rpm

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the forum :-D

From the description it sounds like it is running far too rich. You say it's an ebay ECU that's been unlocked; it hasn't been fiddled with in an effort to 'tune' it has it?

The usual causes of a rich mixture like this are either a duff coolant temperature sensor or a duff MAP sensor. Maybe they're not even wired in properly and this may be the disconnected wires.

In any case you must check the ECU is fully wired correctly and that all sensors are present, correct and in good order.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
projectsaxo

Post by projectsaxo »

hi there,

thanks for the speedy reply. The ECU is a new unit off ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Saxo- ... 2320wt_932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just gone to it again now and she wont even rev up without gradually pressing the throttle,, and you cant fully press the throttle or else she tries to die!!

I have belled out the pink and grey wires i have and the grey is live with 12v! and the pink is a ground of some sort, also when tested back to the ecu wiring the injectors tick,, like a relay clicking when tested for continuity.

Any more suggestions?? PLEASE!!!!
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

for a start, where abouts are you, usually the ecu unlocking doesnt touch the way the ecu maps afaik.

Is it certainly running on all 4?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
projectsaxo

Post by projectsaxo »

hi i'm in wigan and it's definately running on all four
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

First things first, when exactly did it start doing this? did it come on gradualy or suddenly? or was it like it when you got the car?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
projectsaxo

Post by projectsaxo »

i have sorted the running rough it was leaking air into the inlet manifold as someone had taken the three screws out the top of the throttle body half of the inlet,, replaced those and she ticks over great now,, still have the issue of not picking up revs without gradually pressing accelerator (also cant apply full throttle) and the 5800-6000rpm rev limiter.

Dean i am doing a conversion saxo vtr to vts and wish i hadn't bothered now, so since i put the engine in the car it's been doing this engine has 53,000 on it and came from a rear end right off 2003 model going in a 2003 model should be simple! but it isn't cheers
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My RFV has a driving rev limit around 5800 from memory.

Some ECUs won't let you over-rev the car when it's stationary - especially autos and semi-autos. Alfa do this, for example.

I would be curious what a Lexia makes of the ECU characteristics and file version. Just curious!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I cant see the pictures without a facebook login ??
projectsaxo

Post by projectsaxo »

http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s42 ... 0300_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;