Xantia bumpy suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Xantia bumpy suspension

Post by jgra1 »

Keith, do check that both the front and back spheres are gone.. no point in replacing all if only one pair are shot.. (just my opinion)

back of car should be easy to push down a fair few inches, if you have to put a lot of weight on, to get a few inches, then they are gone really.
same for front, but front seems a touch harder than back anyway, so bear that in mind..

Mine rears were bad last week (made car feel worse all around) , I gratefully got some spare (tested) spheres from a member here, and its perfect now.... front is a little harsh but liveable with for now..
you could grab some spheres from a wrecker? maybe get someone to test them for you? how many bar in them etc..

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:maybe get someone to test them for you? how many bar in them etc..
A few of us have sphere testers and I always take mine along to rallies.. . Anyone living nearby are welcome to drop in for a cuppa and a pressure test :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
A few of us have sphere testers and I always take mine along to rallies.. . Anyone living nearby are welcome to drop in for a cuppa and a pressure test :wink:
Likewise, always happy to run them up on the rig.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
Time for a stickie for members with a sphere pressure tester similar to the Lexia thread?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

ecohouse1 wrote: Funnily enough I was expecting the Xant to waft along as I remember the GSA and the BX's doing after their new balls but it still seemed a firmer ride than I remember in my previous hydraulic cars. Notice the old spheres I removed had late 06 and early 07 dates on them so felt they were needing done.
Having driven many GS's over the years (my first car being one as well :) ) I would say that a Hydractive 2 Xantia in good order has a softer ride than a GS, does "waft" along, and manages to do so with a fraction of the body roll of a GS. (Boy did those things roll :shock: :lol: )

A standard hydropneumatic Xantia does not ride nearly as well as a GS however. The roll bar is much stiffer and the damping also firmer. Apart from copious body roll the GS really was outstanding for its time, and very simple (yet mechanically elegant) compared to modern Citroen's with their computer controlled suspension :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive