More silly C5 questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Re: More silly C5 questions

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi PeterN
Hopefully just a quick note of reassurance re your low DPF level. You're right to think that junking it is the easier option compared to refilling etc. I've just done precisely that (junking DPF / FAP, that is) and it really is an easy job. However I didn't need to use my Lexia, just get hold of Galetto and a copy of ecusafe. Or just get Galetto off ebay etc and I could send you the modified file ( DPF-off) if you want.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Monkeyfeet wrote:Hi PeterN
Hopefully just a quick note of reassurance re your low DPF level. You're right to think that junking it is the easier option compared to refilling etc. I've just done precisely that (junking DPF / FAP, that is) and it really is an easy job. However I didn't need to use my Lexia, just get hold of Galetto and a copy of ecusafe. Or just get Galetto off ebay etc and I could send you the modified file ( DPF-off) if you want.
In which case you've only done half the job, the eolys injection side is still working or trying to work because that's controlled from the BSI,
eventually you should get a permanent low additive warning. Although having said that I suppose pulling a fuse somewhere may be an option.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Peter.N. wrote:Hi Cachaciero

I understand what you are saying, the Lexia seems to be the answer. The problem I am having is loading the programme to my laptop, I can get so far then it asks me to do something that I don't have instructions for,
Like what?
it also gets very slow when I have any ammount of the programme loaded, I am wondering if the hard disc is not big enough, its an old Dell with XP.
An old Dell with XP should be fine provided you have a gig or so of memory whether the hard disk is big enough depends on the size of disk and how much other stuff you have on it :-) A complete Lexia install will require about 2.5 Gbytes of disk space.

I have just checked the current consumption and its still doing the same thing, about three or four hours now, about 150ma for a minute or two then suddenly 1 amp, down to 800ma and then back to 150, all in the space of a few minutes. one amp seems the max and it can't have gone much over that or it would have blown my old AVO up. The seller told me that the battery goes flat in a couple of days, I would have thought if its about 70ah it would have taken longer, it is a new Yuasa battery.
Well I think the battery is 90aH which means in reality about 60 usable 60/48 (2 days) is 1.25 amps that's not a long way from the numbers you are seeing.
It seems to me that much in the BSI is screwed, fuel calibration is obviously way out, and it doesn't seem to be monitoring and controlling the electrics correctly and that's for starters, again all can be diagnosed sorted with the Lexia, there is no other way.

The car has done about 150k miles and most things seem to work alright. What is this Galeto, and where can I find the Eolys filler.

Thanks

Peter
cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If I remember correctly it was asking me to connect to Peugeot or something. The computer was running very slow so I cleared everything out including the Lexia programme and its quite reasonable now so I will have to persevere and try again. The programme I recieved was on two discs and I not sure which one to use first or if it makes any difference.

Since I disconnected the battery to do the current test and reconnected it the fuel gauge is now showing empty with the light on!

Peter
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Well it's well known that when face with lot's of funny's re-booting the BSI by disconnection re-connection often sorts lot's of them out.
Have you tried checking the amount of time the radio will stay on?

WRT Lexia, yes it will be important which disk to load first but I would expect only one to have the setup program so if loaded in the incorrect order the load process would never start.
The message about Peugeot: I suspect that the later version of Lexia being much more dependant on being able to talk to "mother" is trying to set up a communication with "head office" which could be a bit of a problem, which version of Lexia software are you trying to load? My version is quite an early one what you really need is someone who has the same combination of hardware and software to talk you through it, my version which loads with no problem would be fine for you if it works with your hardware. Might be better to start a new thread on this subject there's probably a lot of help available trouble is they might not be reading this thread.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Gibbo2286 wrote:That's the problem when not enough info is given with the original question, I answered for the C5, the C5 control button is as I said with 'Citroën' or just blank in the middle, the C5II has the 'sport' button in the middle.
I have a C5I and have the sport button in the middle of the up & down buttons.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

re DPF low level. No display - alarms generated so far. I did check with the Lexia at the time of Galetto-ing and it showed low additive level then but hasn't thrown up a display alarm since removal.
The Galetto itself is simply the car to pc interface, and will come with the Galetto software which allows you to read and write to the ecu. Ecusafe then modifies the file with a built-in de-FAP and de-EGR options. The now modified file is then written back to the ecu.
I'll double check the BSI settings and can report back if that'll help.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Peter..

If it helps I DID NOT use the disk labeled Lexia V40.... I used the other one, which had Lexia and Peugeot Planet install programs on it...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sorry, just to throw a spanner in your DE DPFing, etc... what happens with your "New MOT rules"!!!

IF its there when manufactured it HAS to work with the new regs....

Unless you have a personal friend MOT man who is not too strict within reason... :roll:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

No don't be! It's quite a clean running engine, no soot or any smoke whatsoever. All pipework's still in place so nothing obvious to show it's been done...
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Re de FAPing and MOT, this was discussed on another thread, the concensus seems to be that it is basically only an eyeball check so if it's not obvious everythings good.
I have to say this surprised me, this requirement has come out of Europe so I expected our law makers to do what they so often do and "gold plate" the regulation i.e make it harder here than the rest of Europe but apparently not. However if the test procedure was modified (in the future) to require particulate checks (note this is different to smoke) then a FAP less car would fail.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Realistically, with the rate of turnover in UK cars - your projected future FAP test requirements would be unlikely to affect many of the current "crop".

It really seems to be a good example of nonfunctional technology; something brought in too soon for practical employment and possibly (in an ironic twist) generating far more black cash with workarounds than the Gov't would have expected.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its going the same way as the TV trade, believe it or not I used to make a good living out of repairing televisions, TV engineers are a thing of the past now - they call it progress.

Peter
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Further thoughts / doubts about de FAPing. Getting through the MOT is not the only consideration. Is there not an argument which says that such a modification of the vehicle is contrary to the construction and use act or whatever has replaced it, therefor if it can be proved, the fact that the car passes the MOT is irrelevant the owner will still be prosecuted just under a different law.

I have seen roadside blitz teams consisting of HMRC, her majesty's finest and DOE inspectors checking for such things as fuel and pollution and they do look to have some serious emission checking gear.
Would be interested to hear the views of anybody who really knows the law in this area.
cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Do not understand why people remove these filters or cats and such, they are there for a reason. If people remove because they cannot maintain the car to how it should be then they should not buy the car, stick to something more affordable to maintain.

When I got my C5 I looked for one with full history and was totally standard, I knew I had the filter and fluid to maintain.

Rant over.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.