Xsara Picasso drivers side lights on permanently

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Xsara Picasso drivers side lights on permanently

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF members,

Please could someone help me with a bizzare problem, i have been presented with a 2005 Xsara Picasso hdi with the drivers side sidelights and centre console lights on permanently regardless of key being in or not! :?

It went in 2 week ago for an mot, required a replacement bulb and since then the drivers side (RHS) bulbs remained on, and yes eventually I ended up with a flat battery on more than one occassion. :x

Plugged it into Lexia tonight, no fault codes recorded in BSI, actuator tested the "comm 2000" and despite the right hand side sidelights and centre console lights being still on all switching on of the side lights indicators, horn etc all still registered as being inactive until switched on at which point Lexia happily identified as it being switch on!!!! so still no wiser. 8-[

Has anyone else experience this bizarre behaviour and how do i rectify it apart from purchase an earleir version without comm 2000!
[-X
Thank you

Garry
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xsara Picasso drivers side lights on permanently

Post by RichardW »

What bulb was changed? Take it out again and see what happens. Otherwise, sounds like a COM2000 fault....
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Strange one, if it was a com2000 fault i'd have expected both sides to be on though.
Have you tried a BSI reset by disconnectin the battery for a few minutes ?
Has anything been spilled on the dash at the drivers side ? lift up the little rubber mat & have a look, thers some nice drain holes right above the BSI.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello Wheeler and RichardW,

the front right hand and rear right hand side sidelight bulbs were changed, thats all!

since the MOT that was it, right hand sidelights and the heater/ac panel lamps on all the time regardless of key in or out! had to remove bulbs for time being to prevent battery drain.

Acting on the side of caution I have removed the battery earth clamp and following to ritual of disconnection waiting with windows wound down and relevant time periods I did swap bulbs for 2 alternative bulb and reconnected in the odd "do not destroy your BSI" manner but sadly to no avail.

I plugged Lexia into the car and tested the actuators i.e indicators and lights to identify if they were "active" in the menu but all appeared to register normal when switched on and off or rather active and inactive to almost indicate the switch system i.e com2000 was being recognised by the BSI.

I dont have a wiring diagram for the car but I too thought that if the Heater panel and right hand side lights were on so would the left but not so. Even switching on the switch does operate normally as the left hand side illuminated along with the desplay lights, its just the business with switching everything off and being left with half the car switched on!

I havent checked for water ingress yet, but I will now, anyone able to help with a sidelight diagram please?

Originally I thought a comm2000 error would proberbly show up under lexia so cant imagine now if its com2000 thats duff or bsi playing up now, also trying to work out if its realistic that a short to positive data cycle has somehow occurred for the permanent live connection.

All thoughts and responses gratefully welcomed to save the car!!
phillipsfabs
New User

Post by phillipsfabs »

Hi Garry

I know its an old post but hope you can help
My Picasso has just started giving the same problems as yours did with the driver side sidelights and the console lights permanently on and i keep having to disconnect the battery earth clamp to stop it draining

Was wondering if you had found a fix for the problem

Many thanks
Lee
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

Hmmm! a common fault then!!

Ps 'scuse my sense of humour!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

phillipsfabs wrote:Hi Garry

I know its an old post but hope you can help
My Picasso has just started giving the same problems as yours did with the driver side sidelights and the console lights permanently on and i keep having to disconnect the battery earth clamp to stop it draining
Has the fault happened since messing about with bulbs ? Has anything been spilled on the dash at the drivers side behind the steering wheel where the little rubber mat is ?
phillipsfabs
New User

Post by phillipsfabs »

Hi Wheeler

Have not messed with any bulbs but did notice a couple of days ago when i was checking fuses some brown damp stuff on wires. Lifted up mat today and noticed what looks like spilt coffee!! Lent my car to my son the other week so reckon thats where it came from. If that is the problem any idea what needs to be done. As i see in your previous post the bsi is under the mat so is it a case of taking out and cleaning or blowing out with airline?

Many thanks
Lee
elcouloume
New User
My Cars:

Post by elcouloume »

Have same problem on Berlingo 2005 1.9 d ( Spanish spec in France ) . Same Lexia fault finding = Bsi or column sw fault . The fault is +12v feed via either Bsi 'fuseboard' relay short ( solid state ? )or an IC on Bsi feeding Vs to ' bsi fuseboard relay . Temp solution since everything else works is to disconnect battery / reconnect ( if parking up for more than 4hrs ) per reset proceedure ( a bind but you get the use of your beloved PSA product that shouldn't need 90% of the stuff that the BSI is connected to) . My next move once I have ensured that my Lexia / Diagbox is fully operational - dialogue wise is to remove the EEPROMM from the BSI with gas solder iron ( **do not use any electric version **) and fit to a clean seconhand Bsi - have an ex Picasso Bsi SiemensS118085320. In short cloning the bsi with the Vin ,Mileage , ECU data/ dialogue correct - depending on car model might have to reprogram immobiser / keys ( reprogramable with Lexia / diagbox provided you have original key card / pin no. Will keep you posted this week comming
elcouloume
New User
My Cars:

Post by elcouloume »

Now have conflicting reports diagbox either Com2000 or bsi = in effect either a 'short' on stearing columm switch unit ( in france €200+) - circuit board resulting in the same fault diag as previous blog .Can see why folk scrap their cars early Tempted to remove all circuits to bsi except to ECU and dash!!!
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Could you try disconnecting the steering column switch and see what happens? If everything goes out when it's unplugged that would tend to point at that being the prime suspect I would think. Better than spending money changing it and just hoping it will change something.

While the switch is unplugged, should be pretty easy to check it with a meter provided somebody can confirm the pin layout of the connector so we know what should be open/short circuit.

Sounds an odd fault, other thing I would check is if the circuits in question are fed via a relay anywhere as they can stick. I have had a car where turning the headlights off involved having to open the bonnet and thump the offending relay with a screwdriver about 50% of the time until I was able to replace it.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Probably not as simple as that, as the system is multiplexed.... The column switch has a network cable to the BSI, which in turn is networked to the underbonnet fuse box, which actually houses the relays that turn the lights on :rofl2: So either the fuse box is faulty and switching the relay for no reason, or the BSi is scrambling the message, or the column switch is sending the wrong message. TBH not sure the column switch can send a message for only of the head lights, so the finger is more likely pointed to the BSI or the fuse box. Given the potential spillage it sounds like the BSi is drowing / drowned....which is a bit of a bugger cos it a) dear, and b) needs coding.... :?
Richard W
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Oh fudge...hadn't realised it was a multiplexed car...ignore me then, am *well* out of my depth!

More at home on Skodas, Saabs and Ladas to be fair! ...not that I think you could prise my Xantia's keys out my cold dead fingers at this point mind you...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.