C3 Starter Motor Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quattrojames
My Cars:

C3 Starter Motor Replacement

Post by quattrojames »

For my wifes car, 2003 1.4 HDi 16v

I can't even see it! I assume it's tucked down the back of the engine and changed from underneath? a Google search hasn't thrown up anything useful.

Does anyone have an idea what sort of job it is lieing on your back on the drive with the car on ramps?

Thanks in advance

James [-o<
Audi A4 2.5TDi quattro
Citroen C3 Exclusive (Mrs QJ)
smokescreen
My Cars: C3 1.6 HDi VTR

Re: C3 Starter Motor Replacement

Post by smokescreen »

Hi James,

My first C3 was a 55reg 1.4HDI 8v. I had no problems with the starter motor but have Haynes Manual and workshop manul on CD at home. I'll check both when I get home this afternoon and post when I've sussed it for you.

Regards
Mark

aka smokescreen
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

It is a tricky job, the top bolt goes from the battery side of the starter, and you will need to remove the air intake pipes, best to lift the fuel filter out of the way and you will see better.
The other two bolts are accessed from underneath the car, just above the o/s driveshaft. all the retaining bolts are usually Allen head bolts.
There is often a bracket that holds the wiring onto the starter, make sure you get this off whilst the starter is secure, otherwise you will find it hard to get enough purchase on the nut if the starter has been freed from its mounts.
Next problem is getting it out of the hole, I think it will come out without removing the driveshaft just. On a C4 diesel last week with a similar set up, I had to remove the exhaust downpipe to get the unit out.
Its not a nice job as you probably gathered.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
quattrojames
My Cars:

Post by quattrojames »

Thank you very much to both of you =D>

In the end (after Lighty's advice!) I decided there are better ways to spend my Wednesday off than lieing under the car on the gravel and recruited my local garage, a bit of a cop out maybe, but I'm not getting any younger 8-[
Audi A4 2.5TDi quattro
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

My C3 starter motor packed up ages ago and was replaced by a French Mechanic here in Sydney Australia. I'm not sure what was involved in changing it. It did cost me about $600 however.
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"
quattrojames
My Cars:

Post by quattrojames »

Well, the starter motor was £130 plus vat and with an hours labour it came to £200.

BUT.... bad news today, I had a phone call.... "The car won't start" #-o

Everything was normal, but no response from the key, so I bumped it and it was returned to the garage. It seems, that in a strange quirk of fate the ignition switch failed, thus energising the starter circuit, so the starter stayed engaged against the flywheel as the car was driven, hence it burnt the starter motor out :evil:

New Switch £150
New Starter (again) £132
Labour £88
Recover to dealer for coding £40
Coding £50

All plus Vat :roll:

Cars tested my patience this year, it's been very good up until now but the time might be approaching.
Audi A4 2.5TDi quattro
Neilr
My Cars: Citroen c3 cool 57 plate

Post by Neilr »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, however I am in the process of changing a starter motor on a Citroen c3 desire on a 57 plate and have run into some difficulty. I have located and removed all but one of the Allen bolts but have read that I need to remove the bolt above the solenoid that holds the wiring loom to the bracket, this bolt is a pain to get to so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could try.

Many thanks

Neil
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Neil and welcome - what engine do you have - there are different ones fitted - you can PM me your VIN and I'll dig out the diagrams.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Neilr

Post by Neilr »

Hi Marc

Thanks for getting on here so fast, sorry I forgot to post those details. The engine is 1.4HDI I believe
The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] and the number is 29008173.

Cheers hope this helps
Neilr

Post by Neilr »

Hi Marc,

I have managed to remove the bolt however the bracket fixed to the starter has both the clutch and selector cable attached so the starter will not come out. A silly question I know but do hey need removing? I haven't found anything that surgests they do. I'll add some pics if I can figure out how to do it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately, there's no details on removing the starter - but these are the parts diagrams in case that gives you a clearer picture of the fixings....
C3 Starter A.PNG
C3 Starter B.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This pic suggests removing the bolt at 6 and nut at 2 - although it doesn't then go on to say to remove the bracket or anything...
c3 starter.JPG
Richard W
RGJ
My Cars: C3 pluriel 1.6 petrol sensodrive
Dispatch 2 litre diesel

Post by RGJ »

I removed the starter motor (Valeo) but there was no dowel fitted. It appears the replacement unit doesn't include a dowel. I wonder if its required?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The dowel is not normally included with a new starter, you swap it over from the old one. Are you sure its not still stuck in the engine block?
If its meant to have a dowel then yes it need to be fitted, if not fitted it may move & cause the gear not to engage properly.
Steve Walsh
Donor 2024
My Cars: C5 Aircross 2021 VR7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Kawasaki ZR1100 1994
C4 Hatchback
Yamaha XVS650A 2001

Post by Steve Walsh »

wheeler wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 16:20 The dowel is not normally included with a new starter, you swap it over from the old one. Are you sure its not still stuck in the engine block?
If its meant to have a dowel then yes it need to be fitted, if not fitted it may move & cause the gear not to engage properly.
I put a new clutch in the wife's C4 1.6 HDI a few weeks ago, and that dowel gave me some grief, I didn't realise it was there when I removed the starter and then the gearbox. after refitting everything the starter didn't engage the flywheel properly, I thought some shrapnel had found its way into the starter from the failed clutch thrust bearing, so off with the starter again, stripped and cleaned it out, refitted it but just the same, removed it again and sat with it while looking at a parts list to identify the correct one, ( I had decided the starter drive gear was at fault)... I saw the dowel in the picture, it wasn't in the starter, and I found that the dowel had pushed all the way into the gearbox so that it was flush with the casing and not locating the motor properly, After pulling it out and putting it in starter first....Job done. lesson learned... that dowel if needed is only about a pound
Thanx to Marc and all the admins & knowledgeable people that make this the best forum on the interweb. =D> =D> =D>