Xantia heater blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synth1983

Xantia heater blower

Post by Synth1983 »

Hi there,

I've just bought a Xantia HDi and there seems to be a slight problem with the heater. I've noticed there seems to be lots of issues regarding the Xantia climate control system, but having searched I can't find an answer to this particular one. Basically the blower only works when the temperature slider is set to the warmest setting. When I try and slide it below 24 it stops blowing and I can hear a whirring noise coming from the passenger's side footwell (presumably where the motor is). Any advice on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First you need to look for blockage to airflow. Remove the felted cover above your front passenger footwell (a few screws, all obvious), and identify the pollen filter cover. Place a dust sheet or plastic film on the footwell carpet.

This cover slides sideways to remove - do not prise or pull on it! Once removed, pull down the pollen filter - you will now understand the plastic sheet requirement.

Normally I next hoover up the mess (avoiding the screws, which are placed elsewhere for safety), then start the car with that sliding cover off, and run the blower flat stick. More mess, more vacuuming.

New pollen filter is a few squid only and stops the innards of your climatisation box being stuffed more permanently with debris. Fit your new filter and reverse the dismantling process to completion.

If there is still no change, we need to dig further, but it is common for a blocked filter to cause poor airflow.
Synth1983

Re: Xantia heater blower

Post by Synth1983 »

Thank you for your suggestion, I changed the pollen filter today, and while it did need changing (old one was full of rubbish!) it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. The fan only blows on max when the temperature slider is at 26. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia heater blower

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like the perenial problem of regulator transistor failure, if you are handy with a soldering iron you can change them yourself, otherwise a secondhand motor would be in order.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The control board is getting cheaper; search UK Fleabay for "xantia blower -brushes" and you will find there are ones under £25 delivered.

Checking your control panel is the other detail; this requires about 25 minutes to remove (and a T-20 driver). Some people have had breakages there.