cam shaft scrape

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axford

cam shaft scrape

Post by axford »

Hi all, wonder if anyone can help asap.
My Y reg C5 110 8v is making a loud, horrible scraping sound from the cam sprocket. Its nothing else as ive changed everything - tensioner, idler, belts, crank pulley - everything but the noise has been getting steadily louder and it now sounds like something is gonna give .
Is there a bearing at this end of the cam shaft .there are no leaks and the car runs perfect except for this.
Any help much appreciated.
Chris
jacko47

Re: cam shaft scrape

Post by jacko47 »

hi no bearing as such as cam runs in caps that hold cam in iwould get rocker cover of and have a look are you sure its not timing belt cover as a bit tricky to put on right regards chris
jacko47

Post by jacko47 »

just a thought maybe water pump also try running engine without auxillary belt on
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe part of the cam belt covers are touching one of the sprockets,

regards malcolm
axford

Post by axford »

Thanks for the replies . I'm running the car without the top cover and it scrapes - stops - scrapes . It sounds very on the surface if that makes sense - not in the engine at all . Can't see anything touching the covers and had the aux belt off and it def t/b .
It sounds like the cam pulley has somehow warped and is intermittently touching . Is this possible though ?
Thanks for any opinions or similar experiences .
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I can't believe the cam sprocket would be warped, but if it were, you should be able to see it "wobble" with the engine running. Does the noise coincide with a certain position of the cam sprocket? I assume the cam sprocket bolt is nice and tight?

How about the belt. Is it in good nick? Is it running true on the sprockets (or wandering about)?

Keep an open mind as to the source of the noise - can be difficult to track down. Good luck.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
jacko47

Post by jacko47 »

agree with xantidote also camshaft sensor probably would get damaged or not function correctly
axford

Post by axford »

You were so right again .
It was the blummin water pump after only three thousand miles . Think I had the belt too tight .
Thanks all