Jacking up a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Jacking up a Xantia

Post by ecohouse1 »

Hi
Anyone have any advice about jacking all 4 wheels off the ground with a Xantia using 2 trolley jacks and axle stands to change the spheres or generally any tips about how to best position a Xantia at home to do all 6 spheres.?

Plan on doing the spheres this weekend, and when I did my BXs I could jack from the centre of the front subframe and also from a central point at the rear ( IIRC!) and the towbar on my TZD estate.

I have bigger trolley jacks so height is not as issue and oldfahioned hefty axle stands so I don't end up as a hydraulic pancake! :cry:

Plan on cracking the rears with a trolley under as a "failsafe" then getting the whole rear end up to swap em over & then get in around the anti-sink.

Would prefer to depressurise once for all spheres.

Any tips not involving ramps?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Jacking up a Xantia

Post by lexi »

I have had a few of mine on 4 axle stands. Subframes IIRC.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Jacking up a Xantia

Post by Xaccers »

I always find doing front then back, especially as it gives you more room underneath, to be quicker and easier (especially if the camber of the road lets you just slip the axle stands into the jacking points so no need for a jack), but if you insist on doing both ends at once, set the car on high, get axle stands or a jack under the back as a safety precaution, crack the rear spheres so they turn just a bit, then put axle stands under all the jacking points using the subframe to lift the car up enough to get the stands under. You will probably need to lift the car quite a bit to get at the anti-sink sphere.

Or just put the car on high, crack the rear spheres, slip axle stands under the jacking points at the back on their lowest setting, de-pressurise so the front of the car drops and the rear rises giving you loads of room to safely get under, swap the spheres (remembering the trick with the 9mm flare spanner on the anti-sink sphere), get her on high and repeat for the front.
Depending what tool you have, you might be able to get at the accumulator from above, in which case you'd only need the one de-pressurisation.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool