Xantia HDI brakes issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

romik

Xantia HDI brakes issue

Post by romik »

Last few days I noticed a weird occurrence, no brakes. I press on brake pedal and the car just keeps on going. Only happened a few times and all those times just when I haven't been driving it too long, in the mornings. Any ideas why this happened? Cheers!
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Xantia HDI brakes issue

Post by Chris570 »

does your stop light come on in the morning before you start the engine?

it sounds like you don't have hydraulic pressure. The light should be on to tell you this but if the bulb is blown.....
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Is this happening at very low speeds such as 6 mph or slower?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

romik wrote:Last few days I noticed a weird occurrence, no brakes. I press on brake pedal and the car just keeps on going. Only happened a few times and all those times just when I haven't been driving it too long, in the mornings. Any ideas why this happened? Cheers!
My old HDI (Jim's Rattiva II) did this sometimes. It was a broken ABS sensor ring.
romik

Post by romik »

Chris570 wrote:does your stop light come on in the morning before you start the engine?

it sounds like you don't have hydraulic pressure. The light should be on to tell you this but if the bulb is blown.....
Stop light doesn't come on.
romik

Post by romik »

DickieG wrote:Is this happening at very low speeds such as 6 mph or slower?
I experienced it at up to 15mph I believe.
romik

Post by romik »

Activa_Mike wrote:
romik wrote:Last few days I noticed a weird occurrence, no brakes. I press on brake pedal and the car just keeps on going. Only happened a few times and all those times just when I haven't been driving it too long, in the mornings. Any ideas why this happened? Cheers!
My old HDI (Jim's Rattiva II) did this sometimes. It was a broken ABS sensor ring.
Interesting, as recently my ABS light came on and then off, then on again. Keeps doing it.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Sounds as if there is a problem with a ABS sensor, either too wide a gap between the sensor and ABS ring (check the front sensors for the heat shield being on top of and not under the sensor - should be on top) or for a broken ABS ring around the hub.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Activa_Mike wrote:
Sensor rings rust out and snap. It's not hard to replace them at all and no need to replace the whole joint. new rings are available and it's just a case of releasing the driveshaft from the hub, baking the new ring at gas mark 7 for 30 minutes or so to expand it and then tapping it home..

I can't immediately recall where mine came from but if that is what your problem is then I'll dig out the supplier... RichardW might remember better than I as he has done the job recently... :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

INfo on the rings in this thread: ABS rings info

I suspect this is not the case here, and what is more likely is that the rear anti-sink sphere is flat - just after you start the anti sink valve opens and all the pressure rushes into the anti-sink sphere, robbing the rear brakes. This means no response at all from the brake pedal. The broken ABS rings normally results in the pedal kicking back - at any time.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good thinking Richard :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
romik

Post by romik »

RichardW wrote:INfo on the rings in this thread: ABS rings info

I suspect this is not the case here, and what is more likely is that the rear anti-sink sphere is flat - just after you start the anti sink valve opens and all the pressure rushes into the anti-sink sphere, robbing the rear brakes. This means no response at all from the brake pedal. The broken ABS rings normally results in the pedal kicking back - at any time.
Actually rear suspension is harder than ought to be, which I suppose also points towards rear anti-sink sphere.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That'll be down to rear corners but if they are flat or ruptured than that may well cause the same effect Richard spoke of. Change 'em all, give the brakes a good bleed and all should be good again.

The anti-sink sphere has nothing to do with hardness or sinking. It is in fact an auxiliary brake accumulator to provide a reserve of pressure for the rear brakes when the anti-sink valve is closed. It is so-called simply because it is fitted to anti-sink equipped cars.
Jim

romik

Post by romik »

CitroJim wrote:That'll be down to rear corners but if they are flat or ruptured than that may well cause the same effect Richard spoke of. Change 'em all, give the brakes a good bleed and all should be good again.

The anti-sink sphere has nothing to do with hardness or sinking. It is in fact an auxiliary brake accumulator to provide a reserve of pressure for the rear brakes when the anti-sink valve is closed. It is so-called simply because it is fitted to anti-sink equipped cars.
Thanks for that, will look into it. Much appreciated.