Dreaded P0101 Code

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wasifali

Dreaded P0101 Code

Post by wasifali »

Hello, i'm a newbie, wondering if someone out there can help.
I have a relay van 2.2hdi 2008 '08' which started off with a p0100 code. Took it to the garage who informed me that the air flow meter needed replacing. I gave the go ahead and they fitted it, but the code then changed to p0101. The map sensor has also been changed and all the pipes have been checked for leaks and blockages by the dealer. They have told me they checked the MAF, MAP and EGR by swapping from another van that they had in the workshop at the time but to no avail. They can't figure it out even when they had Citroen UK technical advising them on what to do. I have since discovered that the van runs perfect, throwing no error codes when the air filter is removed. But when it goes back in, it throws the code and power reduces. the pipes from the filter housing have been check too. What is going on?
Thanks in advance.

Wasif
wasifali

Re: Dreaded P0101 Code

Post by wasifali »

Anyone?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I take it that the ducting pipes going to the air filter are clear and haven't collapsed or been stuffed up with acorns by a rodent?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wasifali

Post by wasifali »

Hi,
yes all the pipes have been taken apart and checked by the dealer and 2 other garages.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

To ask the obvious, has a new air filter been tried?
Since fitting the filter provokes the fault, it seems logical to suppose that the filter may be the problem :?
It's possible for a filter to be clogged with fine dust, but to look quite clean.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Code PO101. Air flow not suffecient or too great. Check EGR Valve operation Check the calibration of the Air Flow Meter. Also check for Turbo Hoses loosening or splits there. So seeing as hoses, pipes and EGR, have been checked and are O.k Dnsey seems to right.
wasifali

Post by wasifali »

It has a new air filter which is only a few weeks old but another one has been tried just in case but still the same problem. I'm beginning to think it could be an electrical problem? maybe a signal not being received by the ecu at boost?
gary

Post by gary »

It's worth rechecking the air pipes and the inter-cooler for leaks as some times the pipes can be split but only show up under boost conditions.
Can you hear any noise of air escaping if someone revs the engine whilst you listen under the bonnet or around the front of the van?
Have had the same fault as you described ok with air filter out, fault when fitted , turned out to be a split pipe from turbo to inlet manifold
wasifali

Post by wasifali »

Thanks gary, i've checked all pipes from air intake system and can't see any cracks. Intercooler has been checked also. The dealer today said there was a software update available but the van for some strange reason won't take it. They say they'll speak to Citroen technical and get back.
wasifali

Post by wasifali »

I've tried listening for air leaks whilst the mrs revs the engine but nothing, once the fault code is cleared you can rev all day when idle but it's only when you drive at full boost it comes back on again.
wasifali

Post by wasifali »

Quick update, van is now fixed no thanks to Citroen. I did a boost leak test and found a leak in the intake manifold air distributor. After undoing the 2 8mm bolts and opening it up i discovered there was no gasket. It may have been perished and blown out or totally disintegrated. After some sealant i took it for a test drive and the light no longer comes on, problem solved. I'm extremely pissed off at the fact the dealer couldn't find the fault after nearly 5 weeks and 1500 pounds lighter and i managed to fix it myself. Citroen will be getting the full brunt of my anger and maybe legal action!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I wonder how much money is charged to customers for chasing faults that are never found.
It is throughout all the major companies of course.

They could put a sign up:

"No matter how bad or good we are at finding faults we must still charge you. We only really charge you for the use of our expensive equipment and man hours. This stuff costs us a fortune and YOU will have to pay for it. We cannot lose out of this type of work.........only you can. However you could get lucky and get a fix"
:shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2