Best glow plugs for a 1.9D ZX...??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

Best glow plugs for a 1.9D ZX...??

Post by RussellF97 »

The concensus on here seems to be that Beru are the best, but on a well-known auction site there are all sorts available; NGK, Bosch, etc.
I will be screwing mine back together as soon as the bits arrive from the UK and at least one GP is u/s so will treat it to a new set. Go for the Beru, or any other favourites out there?

Also; what is the capacity of the cooling system on a 1995 1.9D ZX?
Neither the handbook or Haynes has this info, and I need to know how much anti-freeze to get. 8-)
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Best glow plugs for a 1.9D ZX...??

Post by CitroJim »

BERU every time for me but be careful with the 1.9D. It uses very different glowplugs from those specified for TD engines.

Most on offer will be the GN909 type and these are not suitable for a D. The ones you need are BERU GV636. The look identical to the GN909 but are different in that they are designed to glow quickly and brightly and not be used with post heating.

The GN909 is a slow-heat plug designed for extended use with post-heating. Only turbo engines use post heating whereby the glowplugs stay alight for severl minutes after initial start.

GV636s will have a very short life if used in a TD engine... Short but brilliant!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Another vote for Beru here.

If you cannot get Beru (unlikely) try to get Bosch instead rather than other brands. My Bosch ones lasted about five years.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

BOsch Duraterm are what those running on veg oil recommend. I take their advice, just shop around for a reasonable price, plenty of retailers take full advantage of the plugs' good reputation. Avoid NGK.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Thanks one and all for the advice; Beru it is then.

GSF are advertising Beru GPs for a ZX on eBay but don't specify the type, so I've emailed to ask which one(s) they do.

I take it there no real probs using TD GPs in a D, but avoid the other way round? 8-)
Phil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RussellF97 wrote: I take it there no real probs using TD GPs in a D, but avoid the other way round? 8-)
Esentially so, yes. The only issue with using TD pluugs in a D is they take a while longer to heat right up to full temoperature so maybe you might find that under some circumstances you may need two lost of heat. The D being an easier starter anyway (on account of its higher compression ratio) you may not even notice a difference!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

CitroJim: Thank you for your reply. That might explain why in very cold weather it can take two heats (or sometimes three) to get the little devil going! It lives outside - but under a carport - and doesn't get used every day so can get cold soaked in winter.
Phil