new owner , few questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

speedy1409

new owner , few questions

Post by speedy1409 »

Hi,

I bought an old citroen c5 2.2 exclusive estate 6 speed manual. And i have few questions about it.

First off. There are no warning lights or service sign...nothing special on the display. And i had changed air filter and airflow sensor.

1. It is very slow to accelerate from 0 to 2000 rpm, from then on it pulls ok till about 3500-4000rpm(is this normal?). Even in the snow without ESP i could not get whelspin.

2. When starting at the bottom of small 5% incline (200m) it is only kepping speed and not accelerating (in 2 gear and only when cold). IIf i start on the bottom of the hill with 1500 RPM it will stay at that speed till top, if I start at the bottom with speed over 2000 rpm it will accelarate.

Once it staled on me in the middle of a bigger incline, when i wanted to get out of underground supermarket garage in second gear (30m). Then it started ok, but when i wanted to drive of, it staled again (no power), when i reved it it was very slugish...i had to reved it a cupple times and i drove of with 3000 rpm and barely got to the top. (any suggestions)

3. the onbord computer is lying about consuption. I drive 90% of the time on motorways (65-70mph), and onboard comp tels me that my consumption is (9l/100km) 30mpg, but when i calculate the consumption by hand it is 6,5l/100km (45 mpg) (is this usual for this model or indicative of some problem?)

Thanks for any answers.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: new owner , few questions

Post by Citroenmad »

It sounds like it could be a MAF sensor fault, with it causing such noticeable problems it will no doubt have thrown up a fault code. You wont be able to see this without putting it on a diagnostic Lexia. That would be the first step anyway, as you could throw parts at it in the hope of fixing it, however a Lexia session should point you in the right direction.

I guess your not UK based?

The MPG readout can get out of sync if the injectors are playing up
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
speedy1409

Post by speedy1409 »

Yp you guessed correctly, im not UK based and my english is not as good as i want it to be. But, as I wrote at the begginig i have already changed MAF sensor.

Later I had the car tested with diagnostic computer and it did not show any faults - it showed one fault...one of the glow plugs is not working.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Was it a genuine Citroen MAF sensor?
Either Bosch or Siemens.

There are some others offered at a lower price that sometimes work, sometimes have problems and occasionally work OK for a few months then fail.

Have you checked the vacuum pipes for the EGR and swirl valve for leaks and blockages - should throw up a fault code but you can't depend on it.
speedy1409

Post by speedy1409 »

It was original citroen part.

But it has a new symptom now. When standing still the engine is just slightly reving (pulsing) in 1/2 second intervals. Rpm indicator is moving between 750 and 900 rpm and you can also hear the engine noise changing...

It does this when hot or cold, but not always...

I can feel vibrations from engine through the seat in same interval when driving at higher speeds.

volt meter shows no problems...
speedy1409

Post by speedy1409 »

I found out, why its pulsing....it's doing that only when climate control is on auto.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Commonest reason for poor accel and poor low down torque on a 2.2 is swirl valves being open, they should be shut until 2500 rpm.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
speedy1409

Post by speedy1409 »

I resolved all problems.

The accelaration problem was caused by FAP filter. It was blocked. The solution cost me 50 EUR (I am from Slovenia). The service center cleaned the filter with water under high pressure and drilled eight 6mm holes through it. They say that they repair Fap filters with this method for few years now and that there is no problem with gases at MOT and only happy users. Why computer did not show fault i do not know.

Consumption figures sorted them self out after FAP repair. I guess it measures exhaust gases and the figures were not correct because of FAP.

The staling on hills was caused by water in fuel tank and cold weather. Mechanic said that ice crystals form on filters when its very cold and block the fuel flow.

More expensive was fix for pulsing/reving of engine in 1/2 second intervals and vibrations. The problem was with flywheel for micro belt. It eventually broke apart. A piece (30cm long piece of aluminum) from flywheel shoot into tensioner and chipped it. It also partly tore the belt. Cost of repair at the nearest garage was 350 EUR.

The car is like new one after this repair. Completely different to drive.