Xantina Aircon Always On

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroDane
My Cars:

Xantina Aircon Always On

Post by citroDane »

Hi guys,

The aircon on my Xantia MK2 has suddenly started to kick in on its own and won't turn off.
I noticed this first when I saw the green LED lamp on the AC on-off switch flicker at a high frequency
(half as brightly as usual). Checking under the hood, I can see the refrigerant flowing in the bottle, radiator
fans are on all the time (it's only 5 degrees C outside) although they bounce (fluctuating fan speed) and I hear the
aircon compressor relay clicking repeatedly.

Now the green lamp on the AC switch is constantly on (no flickering) though still half as brightly as usual. Pushing the switch in doesn't make any difference...the AC is on all the time, unless of course you turn off the blower fan, which kills the AC. But that is normal behaviour (no blower fan, no AC).

I'd appreciate any ideas to help diagnose this. Has anyone had this problem or anything similar? What do you reckon, sensor problems?

Cheers,
Gabriel
Last edited by citroDane on 22 Feb 2012, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Xantina Aircon Always On

Post by myglaren »

Have you got the screen demist/defrost on?
The aircon always operates if that is selected.
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

myglaren wrote:Have you got the screen demist/defrost on?
The aircon always operates if that is selected.
No, I'm not on demist. But I guess I can't rule out a faulty lever/selector? Dunno how to test that. Albeit, how would that explain the AC switch light going on? It was never coming on when the AC kicked in as a result of demist being selected. :?
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Could just be that the switch is faulty.
Would be worth popping it out and checking the contacts, or getting a replacement from a scrap yard and swapping them over.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroDane
My Cars:

Post by citroDane »

Xac wrote:Could just be that the switch is faulty.
Would be worth popping it out and checking the contacts, or getting a replacement from a scrap yard and swapping them over.
I suppose. That could explain the green lamp...though the strange thing is while it's continuously on at half brightness, it does go to full brightness when I push it in, which could indicate that it actually does toggle. In any event I'll take it out tomorrow and see if I can test it with a multimeter. Tnx.
99 Xantia, 2.0 HDI
TKM 215