Xantia Activa Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dr Madvibe
My Cars: I did have a nice Activa but now I've got a Merc CLK 280 Avantgarde Convertible LPG with permanent warning lights.

Xantia Activa Power Steering

Post by Dr Madvibe »

My Activa has developed a power steering problem in that it doesn't work until I've already started to turn and the it kicks in. I have to be careful not to oversteer when that happens.

I can jiggle the wheel a bit and it'll work, but then when I want to turn again, it's gone.

We do have long straight roads here in Lincolnshire, but they do tend to have a right angle bend and a dyke somewhere along them.

Anyone got any ideas? And yes the LHM is topped up.

cheers
Dr M
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sounds like the internal seals of your pinion valve are rogered. I recommend rebuilding the one there, vs "swap and pray" as most used parts are at least a dozen years old and rather high mileage.

There is a seal kit sold for BXs which will do the trick, however you ideally need the special tapered sleeves for installing them or try the Japanese website's trick of Mylar wrap and worm driven hose clamps. Either way, not a job you do between pints on a Sunday evening.

Note there is a seal groove on the pinion inner which is deliberately empty! :shock: Put a seal there and you won't have PAS.

As a side note, pinion valves that have been "forced" by long usage without power assist can (IMO) suffer distortion of the cast iron housing just enough to make them perennially leaky.
Dr Madvibe
My Cars: I did have a nice Activa but now I've got a Merc CLK 280 Avantgarde Convertible LPG with permanent warning lights.

Re: Xantia Activa Power Steering

Post by Dr Madvibe »

Thanks addo.

What's the Japanese website?
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

or, Dr, ask Martin at peliades for one.. he will take yours in exchange.. he rebuilds and tests them afterwards..

I tried rebuilding mine, no hope (for me) really ;)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

You may struggle as the Activa steering is a different ratio to the common xantia's iirc so an exchange may not be easy.
The job of doing the seals is a real pita, i ruined one kit trying to do the xm pinion and doing the second was a very fiddly experience.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Deanxm wrote:You may struggle as the Activa steering is a different ratio to the common Xantia's.
I don't think that that is supported by Citroen Service. There is no separate listing for activa (there are different listings by RP number).
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Sorry, just had a check of my facts from another post and you are right, the pinion IS the same but the Activa has limited rack movement.
Xantia steering - Two types:
Non Activa - power asst - rack travel 80.5mm - pinion 8 teeth - rack 34 teeth - 3.2 turns - ratio 17/1
Activa - power asst - rack travel 74.3mm - pinion 8 teeth - rack 34 teeth - 3 turns - ratio 17/1
As you were :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Dr Madvibe

Post by Dr Madvibe »

Thanks folks.

Pleiades isn't too far from me so I may take that route; or at least give them a ring.