xantia rpm counter indicates incorrectly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

xantia rpm counter indicates incorrectly

Post by xf1ref »

Hello everybody, I'm new on this forum and hope to find an answer to my issue. I have a Xantia mk2 1.8 16V 110hp and the problem is that tachometer (rpm counter) indicates incorrectly engine rpm. In past time I knew that in 5 gear at 110 km/h i had 3000 rpm but now I have ~3250 ...I took a picture to the dashboard. When the engine is the idle speed the rpm counter indicate over 1000 rpm even if the engine is heated (in the past time I had 850). If someone have an ideea what is the problem please help? :?:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia rpm counter indicates incorrectly

Post by CitroJim »

Almost certainly the rev counter itself. I've seen it once before where the rev counter was reading wildly high and a replacement instrument pack sorted it.

A lexia diagnosis will confirm for sure.

You may find if you dismantle the instrument pack (fiddly job) and clean the 'fingers' where the rev counter itself contacts the printed circuit behind it all will again be well.

Sometimes if tyhe problem is poor contacts a smart rap with a flick of a finger on the fromt of the instruments will restore normal readings...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Re: Xantia rpm counter indicates incorrectly

Post by xf1ref »

Thank's for reply, yesterday I remove the impulse sensor from flywheel and looks ok...measured with a multimeter indicate 360 ohm's. I tryed to start the engine without this sensor and doesn't start. In weekend I will dismantle the dashboard to clean the circuits. :roll:
Also yesterday I disconnected lambda sensor, start the engine and it run normally....the orange engine light from dashboard was off. Is this ok? light should not be switched on?