C5?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C5?

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi Peter, im sure you know what I think to C5s by now, after ive had 3 and 5 at our house in total.

Electrics, well they are multiplexed, as will be your 406, so nothing really added in there. Most of the time if there is a problem it is down to the multiplexed comms2000 unit and that is very easy to change and not too costly, should it go south!

Ive heard of very very few C5s having trouble with the main BSi brain, as it is usually something to do with the above.

In the 3 years and over 100K miles collectively ive only ever experienced a few minor problems with C5 electrics. The worst one being the indicator would flash and then turn off while putting on the headlights. This was a comms2000 fault, I decided to buy a new unit for £180 but they are available used for much much less and it only took me 20 minutes to change as since that C5 did not have ESP or H3+ (I doubt you will find a 2.0HDi 8v with ESP and you wont get one with H3+) the unit did not need coding in to the car.

The only other problem would be the climate control can blow hot one side and cold the other, though there is a fix for this, again its simple and not costly.

What is the worst you could happen? :lol: You could always sell it on should it do something unheard of, though I doubt you any serious electrical issues. Having a Lexia might be a bonus, though you might not have to use it. I bought one due to curiosity, not because I needed to use it :lol:

We have had three 2.0HDi 8vs and all have been excellent cars, no real problems and I would like to keep our current one for much longer as its such a good and reliable car.

Im sure they would fit your needs very well, as they do actuall have some advantages over an XM, and it should prove to be a reliable car. I know a many people who have been C5 converts and run one after the other now with no serious faults. Many are used as Taxis and often get retired at around 300-350K. The Taxi driver who I spoke to had a fleet of 8 and said he would not run them if they cost him time and money.

Im sure you will enjoy one :-D
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Cachaciero

Thanks for all that, mechanical faults I can handle, been doing it for well over 50 years, I think the problem is fear of the unknown and having the confidence to tackle it. Later TVs used BUS lines but I never got to grips with fault finding via them but I still managed to isolate the faulty component eventually.

This stuff is all new to me and I don't have the confidence that I did when I entered the TV trade in the '50s, I couldn't wait to grasp the technology of the day but it was so simple then. Still, I was worried about getting the 406 but all I have had to do to it in 12,000 miles is the rear brakes and suspension links so certainly that one seems to be reliable. Hopefully I will have people like youself to back me up if I do have problems.

I don't think the C5 is nearly as well built as the XM but I was hoping that at least the ride would have been as comfortable and the fuel consumption is better, although not that much, I don't care in the least about handling, I don't drive fast enough, 1950s american suspension with cross ply tyres would suit me fine. Anyway there is no desperation as the MOTs on the XMs don't run out until the summer but I am going to have to bite the bullet eventually.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Very interesting read as usual, cachaciero :)
cachaciero wrote:
Finally IMHO the C5 does not handle as well and is not as comfortable as the XM :-)

cachaciero
I would agree with you, the C5 is a crusier, it can be thrown around but it would rather you kept that sort of thing to a minimum. Unfortunately mine doesn't get a choice but I do enjoy it, for a big, softly sprung car with no hydractive plus and more limited suspension travel than an XM it doesn't do badly.

Ive driven a C5 on comfort spheres, and while that didn't suit my driving style, when driven carefully it did provide a very good ride and reminded me more of an XM. Though on more demanding roads it was, as you would expect, underdamped. Might be an option for Peter though, if ride is the main concern.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Citroenmad wrote:Very interesting read as usual, cachaciero :)
Thankyee kindly sir :)

Ive driven a C5 on comfort spheres, and while that didn't suit my driving style, when driven carefully it did provide a very good ride and reminded me more of an XM. Though on more demanding roads it was, as you would expect, underdamped. Might be an option for Peter though, if ride is the main concern.
Possibly as ride does seem to be his main consideration. Mind there was a post on here a while back that reckoned an H3+ car with H3 spheres on the struts was a good compromise, might try it some day, of course that would mean buying a 2.2 :-) Mind there is an XM with 74K on the clock in the bay, it's not far from Peter could be away of putting of the decision a bit longer :-D
Apropos faults don't ever re-call any XM going more than about 5 years without window winder cable failure C5's don't seem to suffer from this.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

don't ever re-call any XM going more than about 5 years without window winder cable failure C5's don't seem to suffer from this.
Neither do MK1 XM's :wink:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

A replacement XM would have to be a M2 2.1 manual estate with a Bosch pump, no rust and cheap - I don't think such a thing exists :-D

Peter
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

I purchased a 2002 C5 2.0 HDI 8V a few years ago. It was a great car except the head gasket started to fail at 117k miles. I replaced it and kept the car until 160k miles. The engine was still running perfectly, it did not use oil and I am sure it would of gone on for many miles. I traded the car in as it did start to develop quite a few electrical issues, although none that stopped me using the car. I traded it for a 2004 2.0 petrol C5 which is a lovely car. I would not worry about the electrics at all, there are many people here with diagnostics equipment should you have any problems. My advice would be to purchase a 2003 or 2004 model as there were as with all new models some initial niggles, like the rattling steering column. If you know anyone with a scanner which can read the C5, it would be worth scanning any potential purchase for faults before parting with your money.

Good luck in your search.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for that. I do have a Lexia but so far have been unsucessful in loading the operating programme into the computer.. I am usually unlucky with head haskets but my 406 has done 202,000 miles now and its still OK, I reckon the 8 valve is a brilliant engine.

Peter