xantia rear end stuck in "raised" position

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Xantia rear end stuck in "raised" position

Post by Xaccers »

i3 wrote:ah ok. thanks. any idea on the part number that i will need then? it is for a s2 td exclusive. not sure if it has active anti roll...? it does have the button that tightens up the suspension.

so with that control lever arm broken off, would that cause the suspension to drop at the rear as it has? with the in-car control lever set to "normal", the suspension drops right to the bottom at the rear. the front is still raising and dropping as usual...

thanks
Only the Activa has active anti roll.
Is yours a hatchback or estate?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

Xac wrote:
i3 wrote:ah ok. thanks. any idea on the part number that i will need then? it is for a s2 td exclusive. not sure if it has active anti roll...? it does have the button that tightens up the suspension.

so with that control lever arm broken off, would that cause the suspension to drop at the rear as it has? with the in-car control lever set to "normal", the suspension drops right to the bottom at the rear. the front is still raising and dropping as usual...

thanks
Only the Activa has active anti roll.
Is yours a hatchback or estate?
its a hatchback...
'97 Xantia 2.1TD VSX - Left in 2011
'98 Xantia MK2 2.1TD Exclusive - Arrived in 2011
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

any ideas then on the part number for the control lever arm that i require?
its broken off and still attached to the plastic clip...
thanks
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Checked the height correctors WITH ACTIVE ANTI-ROLL and
the rear CONTROL LEVER (AR DIAM 10) part number is given as 5291 18.

- - - - - - - -
the front one is:
5291 15 NFP --- CONTROL LEVER (AVANT DIAM 28) --- WITH ACTIVE ANTI-ROLL
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

does mine have active anti-roll? as xac is saying that only activas have it...? mine is not an activa, it's a 2.1 exclusive td hatchback. so perhaps i need the one without anti-roll...
sorry for being such a pain and much thanks for all your assistance.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

No yours won't have active anti roll.
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok. thanks.
now, just being trying to order the part from the dealer,,, he hasn't a clue on anything, all he can do is input any part number i tell him into their system and take payments.
so i need the correct part number then for the rear control lever for an s2 xantia hatchback without active anti-roll.
please
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

529119 Control Lever AR Diam 22mm

When you go to remove the old one, try and mark the position the clamp is in and hopefully that will keep the rear ride height roughly the same.
Otherwise you'll have to do some adjustments by rotating the clamp around the anti-roll bar remembering that very small movements result in large height movements.
Ideally you'd do it on full length ramps or over a pit.
You want to be able to get 1 finger between the top of the rear wheel and the wheel arch, and once you've got the ride set, sit in the boot to let it drop and come back up, then jump out and do it again just to make sure everything has settled and the height is correct.
Dowse the linkage arms in spray grease.

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

trying to adjust the clamp to get it to sit in "normal" position,,,struggling to get it right. its only going to high and low positions. what am i doing wrong? with little bit of movements on the clamp around the anti-roll bar, nothing seems to happen... and large movements of the clamp just result in moving the suspension to full high, then to full low.
any suggestions...?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

i3 wrote:trying to adjust the clamp to get it to sit in "normal" position,,,struggling to get it right. its only going to high and low positions. what am i doing wrong? with little bit of movements on the clamp around the anti-roll bar, nothing seems to happen... and large movements of the clamp just result in moving the suspension to full high, then to full low.
any suggestions...?
When setting the height you need to loosen the clamp just a little so it can rotate on the ARB but not soo loose that it can flop around. The sproings in the cradle will tend to push on it and rotate it away from where it needs to be. Adjust by holding a lever against the clamp to make the adjustment and hold it there whilst waiting at least 20 seconds each time to see the effect of the adjustment. It takes petience. Losts of it when you are learning how.

Then, when the correct height is achieved, nip up the clamp bolt and then see that the height is correct after going to low, then high and then back to normal a cpuple of times; refine the adjustment just a very tiny bit if needed but be aware that just a tiny change of adjustment on the clamp makes a big difference to height.

Have a look at gadgetricity's thread on much the same topic for some more advice on this fiddly job :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok. did some very slight adjustments to the clamp yesterday. and the car sat right about normalish...could get a finger in between the arch and tyre as advised,,, but it did seem a tiny bit too low, maybe its just me?? but any how i left it at that as it was the best i had it yesterday. now, i think it dropped down when i got home,,,not sure if it was whilst driving or when stopped.. but am going to start it up and go for a drive later and see what happens... quite an annoyance really... i was hoping to sell it as well...