C5 2.2 Manual Gearbox oil filler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Millerboy79

C5 2.2 Manual Gearbox oil filler

Post by Millerboy79 »

Hey up peeps,

I'm having trouble finding the gearbox oil filler/level check bolt? Anyone know which one it is on the manual 2.2 hdi gearbox? I've found the drain plug, and I'm aware I can fill it through the reversing light switch hole but I obviously need to take the level bolt out so I don't overfill it,

Cheers guys
NOW- Renault Megane Scenic RX4 52 plate! 1.9 DCi
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: C5 2.2 Manual Gearbox oil filler

Post by Lighty »

Dont think they have one, you will need to fill with a measured amount through the breather on the top.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Lighty say... There is but it's inaccessible. It's right on the back of the diff housing.

Drain full and refill through the reversing light switch hole with 1.8L of Total BV75W/80 or equivalent. The oil grade MUST be 75W/80 and both Total and Valvoline make one they specifically state is for Pug/Cit gearboxes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

Cheers guys! I'll do it that way then!
Ta
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

I gues when you say MUST be 75w80 that the 4 litres of 75w90 I've got is no good then? Semi synthetic.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Millerboy79 wrote:I gues when you say MUST be 75w80 that the 4 litres of 75w90 I've got is no good then? Semi synthetic.
I'd not use it personally. In my experience the PSA 'boxes are very fussy over oil and I'm dedicated to using the right stuff but others on here may have a view...

The worry is that anything else may make for a very stiff gearchange in cold weather... I've known PSA geaboxes filled with 90 grade oil in the past and the gearchange first thing on a cold morning was almost impossible...

Comma also make a good 75W/80 oil specifically for PSA gearboxes if you can't find Total or Valvoline...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

Following the drain and refill I can report that the gear change is exactly the same as it was before the change, and because I'm tight I chucked the 75w90 in, I shall report back if it stiffens up, oo-er missus!