Xantia 2.1TD Grey Sensor On Engine Block

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bddeazeley
My Cars:

Xantia 2.1TD Grey Sensor On Engine Block

Post by bddeazeley »

Hi Folks,
Just a query about the grey sensor that is located on the front of the engine block on my 2.1TD Xantia (XUD11 bte) which I believe is an oil pressure sensor or switch. The plug to this sensor was accidentally disconnected some time ago and I only noticed it the other day. The strange thing is the oil pressure warning light operated as normal, ie the light went off when the engine was started, whilst the plug was disconnected. After reconnecting the grey plug to the sensor the car now feels far more responsive than it was before and the engine which had a slight diesel knock lasting a couple of seconds mostly when decelerating or changing gear no longer has the knock. Have I got it wrong or is this grey sensor more than an oil pressure switch?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Xantia 2.1TD Grey Sensor On Engine Block

Post by Chris570 »

i would imagine its a knock sensor :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

If it has one wire going into it, its an oil pressure switch, though I don't know if the oil pressure switch would account for the improvements you note. Not impossible that it plays a part on Lucas Epic.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote:i would imagine its a knock sensor :)
Diesels don't have knock sensors.

Yep, if the sensor is on the front of the block in the vicinity of the oil filter then it's the pressure sender.

I can't possibly think how it would affect running. If it was connected to the engine ECU you'd have thought it would have stopped the engine on low oil pressure, not made it run badly!!!

Mind you, with it disconnected the oil light should not have worked at all. That is odd...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bddeazeley
My Cars:

Post by bddeazeley »

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes the sensor only has 1 wire and yes it is in the vicinity of the oil filter so I guess it is an oil pressure switch. The oil pressure warning light has never faulted and I would have expected it to have remained on whilst the lead was disconnected. One other symptom that I did not mention was if the car was driven above 3500 rpm there was a loss of power in a rhythmic manner every second ie loss of power for one second then ok for the next second and that would continue as long as the car was above 3500 rpm. That symptom has also cleared up and the car will now go up to approx 5200 rpm then the govenor kicks in to limit the engine. All very confusing.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Not sure about Xantias but could it be a needle lift sensor? Only applies to Lucas injection whereas my XM has Bosch so I'm not certain.

Steve.
not applicable
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Oil level sensor maybe ?

Although I think those are fitted to the back and in the sump not the block. The one near the oil filter is the pressure switch, it has to be near the filter really anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

CitroJim wrote:
They do now... The 1.4 & 1.6 HDi's have knock sensors. Lexia calls it the accelerometer though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wheeler wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
They do now... The 1.4 & 1.6 HDi's have knock sensors. Lexia calls it the accelerometer though.
Thanks Wheeler :-D How bloody amazing! Don't quite see how it can be called an accelerometer though. Is it like a petrol one and basically a microphone listening for knock?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Works & looks just the same, piezo crystal typ that produce a very small voltage when it is vibrated.
I think accelerometer is just a bad translation from French.