c5 brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

c5 brake problem

Post by boristhespie »

Yup more pain in butt travails. Driving got loud noise. Then shake and the inevitable banging of abs as the brake pedal pushed. The brake were smelling of burning and hot. Front right. And the callipers changed not too long ago after similar problem.

Thing I notice handbrake is lacking resistance when pulled on. Not sure if handbrake applies to front brakes? Could it be a dodgy cable?
C'est pas possible!
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Maybe two things.

One, the front brakes may be working harder than intended in proportion - are the rears correctly aligned or are they skewiff from corrosion?

Also, are you certain the retractable pistons are moving freely and correctly on both sides?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: c5 brake problem

Post by Citroenmad »

Quite frequent problem for C5 front calipers to sieze on the handbrake mechanism, however you have already had replacement calipers due to this reason. Were they new or just reconditioned?

Could well be a sticking cable, if one has become frayed. Check to see if the cables are free, you can move the handbrake levers on the caliper with a pair of pliers if they are as free as they should be. Removed the cable from the caliper and see how free it is.

With the lack of resistance to the handbrake it does point to either cables or caliper. Though neighter problem will result in the ABS kicking in.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Did you make sure the caliper piston slot lined up with the bump on the inner pad ? I have seen them misaligned and it can make the piston or caliper tip to one side and jam.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Had all four calupers replaced last year with new units. So the handbrake is working with front brakes?

When pulling on handbrake there is little to pull against.

The noise starts at 65 on dual carriageway when no braking is needed.

I did drive off with handbrake on a week or so back an never realised for a while.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

The calipers were replaced by bosch garage. I'm no good with mechanics.
C'est pas possible!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

It doesn't matter who replaced them, anyone can make a mistake, it is easy to see if the piston is wrong, as the pad will have unusual markings on it especially on the little bump.
Leaving the handbrake on wouldn't have caused this. Might be an idea to ask the Bosch garage to check it out for you, although if they had fitted it incorrectly the fault would have occurred before now I would guess.
The dodgy cable suggestion sounds worth a look, although some recon calipers tend to be less than top quality.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

I asked if they were recons or new he said new although he said he had to send in old ones which to me suggests recon. Surely they can't have corroded or gone tits up in 9 months. Hope not.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Okay caluper knackered. They were done last year so still under warantee BUT I bet the damn labour will be charged.

It transpired that they are reconditioned.

What a nonesense. A bad inherent use o material and design. Pathetic. Both my c5's have had all calipers done. Some crumbled to dust when rubbed.
C'est pas possible!