Radiator fans won't stop! C5 2.2 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Millerboy79

Radiator fans won't stop! C5 2.2 HDi

Post by Millerboy79 »

Hello,
My coolant sensor popped out of the thermostat housing the other day for a wander around the top of the gearbox and obviously let all the coolant out with it! I got the usual "coolant temp too high" warning and the big red stop! And the rad fans kicked in, and are still running, all the time, ignition off still going, no coolant still going, battery off for 16 hours fans still going! How the hell do I make them stop properly as I fear my technique of pulling the plug out of them is simply a temporary solution!
Cheers Todd
NOW- Renault Megane Scenic RX4 52 plate! 1.9 DCi
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Radiator fans won't stop! C5 2.2 HDi

Post by CitroJim »

Todd, they're running because you pulled the wires on the sensor! This is a fail-safe in case of failure of the sensor to ensure things are kept cool by running the fans constantly. Your sensor has failed...

In some other PSA cars, pulling the sensor wires is a good diagnostic test for the fans...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

Well that's annoying as it was a brand new sensor that I fitted last weekend, hence it's wandering around on friday, the housing broke (I broke the housing) while changing it, so I siliconed it in, that blew out and it is now chemical metalled in! I'll check the wiring as the plug is slightly damaged.
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

On a further point would that same fail safe make the fans run constantly, even just over an hour after the ignition has been turned off? Or is there a relay that may be stuck?
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

Left the fans unplugged for nearly a week, plugged them in today and they have not spun once! Aren't citroens unique!!!!