c5 3lt and caravan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robrome

c5 3lt and caravan

Post by robrome »

hi all
we have a 1200kg caravan and a 3lt v6 c5
1st off what are these cars like towing/what sort off mpg is likely(befor we had a pajero)
2nd do thay have any nastys that bite when towing #-o
any input is welcome cheers :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: c5 3lt and caravan

Post by myglaren »

Have you posed your question on the caravan club's forum?
They will likely have more experience of this than here.

Hydraulic Citroens usually do very well for towing but I haven't heard anything specific to the C5.
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Hi,

I have a 2.0L petrol auto pulling a 1000kg caravan. No trouble at all except I find it better to use the transmission manually. I get about 24mpg towing, and around 40 solo. Previously I towed with a 2.0L diesel manual, also very good. Personally I prefer the petrol for overall use, although the diesel had the power at more useful RPM.

I have been considering changing to the 3.0L as there is not a great deal of difference in economy on motorways (which is most of my motoring) and I suspect it will possibly be more economical than my 2.0L when towing as it will not need to work so hard. The suspension is a dream with the caravan on the back, you have to remember to slow down on bumpy roads, normally as you look in the mirror and see the caravan bouncing around!
C5IAM
My Cars:

Post by C5IAM »

I had a 51 reg 2.2 diesel towing 1400kg caravan, had it for 7 years, son in law has the car now. It is a briliant towcar with stacks of storage space for the two of us. Towed all over Europe and the UK. Performance was excellent as was the fuel economy, 50+ on the motorway and about 38/42 generally. Best part of 30 when towing.
Suspension is brilliant for towing, I had put 'comfort' spheres on it as I like the 'floating experience'
For the last four years I have had a 2.7 C6, much heavier on fuel and lack of storage space but otherwise superb. from C5IAM
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
Wenglish

Post by Wenglish »

Check the towing limit for the auto as it can be 500kg less than the same model in manual form.
You did not give the year so have a look on Towsure site it shows towing limits for most current models.
when calculating loads in car/van don't forget things like weight of towbar on car and motor movers on van, on mine it makes a 75kg differnce which has to be taken in to account for the GTW. There is a 3500kg limit for drivers over 70 unless they take a medical.
Newer drivers now have to take extra test to tow trailers/vans.
The towsure site tap Towsure in to your search/browser which will give lots of info like max weight, hill climbing, overtaking, and the mpg. plus links to reviews by owners boasting about their outfits some are true others need new battries for their calculators.
robrome

Post by robrome »

sorry forgot to put all info down
the car is a 2002
i used to drive heavy haulage all round east and west Europe for 20 plus years
i was asking moor about performance than anything
have looked at tow-sure and am well pleased with what they say
just wondered if any one had good or bad experience with these cars when towing
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Wenglish wrote:Check the towing limit for the auto as it can be 500kg less than the same model in manual form.
Towing limit is 1500kg for both auto and manual although I read somewhere the 3.0L auto limit is 1400kg, due to additional vehicle weight perhaps?

You will not have any problems with the 3.0L and a 1200kg caravan, except remembering it is there. The only advice I would offer is to consider performing a double flush oil change on the transmission if it has not been done, and ensure you use the correct oil when doing so. I did this on mine, it had only done 31,000 miles when I got it, but the oil change transformed the gear changes and smoothness of the transmission.
Wenglish

Post by Wenglish »

Type "cuddles.abelgratis" in search engine there you should be able to find a very comprehensive list of all towing weights for Citroens and many othe makes. "robrome" did not say whether he was using saloon or estate. Due to the distance from centre of rear axle on the estate to the ball being greater, ie ball is further from axle the leverage is higher so the weight permitted is lower. Although vehicles do cope with overload Mr Plod and VOSA are not so tolerant. unless you can accept invalid insurance, operating a veh incontrevention of Construcion and use regs. plus any thing else they dream up. You also get points on your licence.
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

As previously stated, my figures come from the actual vehicle handbook. These figures clearly state the 3.0L auto estate has a gross train weight of 3460kg, the vehicle gross weight is 2160kg. Technically that gives a towing capability of 1300kg, but this is based on an incline of 10 to 12% The same handbook also states the vehicle is capable of towing 1900kg up to 8% incline.

The police can not do anything about you towing a trailer heavier than the vehicle recommended maximum provided you are able to do so safely, that you are not overloading your towbar in terms of maximum loads, that your vehicle and trailer do not exceed their individual gross weights. The 85% rule when towing is a recommendation, it is not law.