Xsara handling and general maintenance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Xsara handling and general maintenance

Post by myglaren »

Mr Savoy is an FCF member too :)
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:Mr Savoy is an FCF member too :)
Indeed :)

No mention of how many return trips to the moon its done, but as you know Peter, they go on and on!

Also no mention of it on their website, so perhaps its sold.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

charentejohn wrote:Back trying to find my wife a car and now looking to a Xsara. Any thoughts anyone, mainly the ability to handle rough roads.
I had a 1.9TD 1998 Xsara for a while, it had a nice ride, and was good to drive. Shame the gearbox died with only 100k on it eh? Other than that, yes, was a nice car, smooth riding - way better than a Focus/306.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, I remembered it after I had posted, lovely car, beautiful colour too, its actually the same as our red one but its shiny! That one of Malcolms looks nice too, a bit out of my price range at the moment though. The MOTs on ours both run out in June so I will see what the situation is them. Meanwhile I will have a drive of a C5 and the Merc and see for myself.

Incidentally Auto Express give as the car with the best ride a .................. Rover 75!

Peter
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I can see good XMs increasing in value, they have started too.

Yes the Rover 75 is quite comfortable, the Tourer is a nice looking car, the diesel is a BMW engine and pretty hardy and they are cheap to buy. Might be something for you to consider. :)
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I thought of Rover 75 too, good engine and auto box (Jatco) and parts are available no problem. Only parts not available are headlights for LHD use so gave up on them.

Nice Xsara here and may be worth a look, about £3k at the moment http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/280018526.htm?ca=20_s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like mercs but wouldn't want a C class, just don't like the shape, and the E class has a bad reputation. Given a choice I would buy a E300 (pre 1993) 250 turbodiesel, sadly these are reaching the point where they are starting to deteriorate due to bad maintenance and good ones are hard to find.

One reason I bought my Xantia now that is in good general condition as another 5-10 years or so down the line this car would have 'dropped off the end' I reckon. By that I mean it would not have been maintained because not worth it and eventually there would be so much wrong it would be scrapped. Still not cheap here so they are still looked after in general but a problem in the UK I would think as when cars become very cheap people just buy them, run them till they drop and then scrap them.

I will be looking for a Xsara on the same basis, decent condition and can be kept that way by regular maintenance and nipping any problems in the bud. Just have to persuade my better half to buy one....
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter.N. wrote:Yes, I remembered it after I had posted, lovely car, beautiful colour too, its actually the same as our red one but its shiny! That one of Malcolms looks nice too, a bit out of my price range at the moment though. The MOTs on ours both run out in June so I will see what the situation is them. Meanwhile I will have a drive of a C5 and the Merc and see for myself.

Incidentally Auto Express give as the car with the best ride a .................. Rover 75!

Peter
My youngest daughter has a Rover 75 Connoisseur with the 2L BMW diesel and loves it - quite frugal and a very place nice to be.
I like it too - we swap cars frequently and in some urban situations it is smoother than the C5. Unphased by speed bumps :)
On the whole I prefer the C5 though.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Mmm, the thot plickens. My wife said 'what about a Xantia' I said, not sure about the ride, how does it compare with the XM you dual owners? It would need to be an Hdi - no clutch cable :-D I prefer the earlier Mercs but they dont have the fuel, economy. Interesting comments about the Rover though, a friend of mine had an estate so I have driven one, my overall impression was that it had very little room inside and it was almost impossible to get to the engine - otherwise quite nice.

Thanks all for your input

Peter
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

You must be joking about "very little room inside". I used to regually put a upvc front door in the back of mine plus all my tools and extending step ladders.And the ride is great.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I didn't mean in the luggage compartment but it seemed vey claustrophobic in the front, you are very near the dashboard - compared with the XM of course and you can get two armchairs or a settee in that. :shock:

Peter
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Is'nt it suppose to be for the other half :lol: .I can see someone is going to be driving it more than they are.I think the XM is a little wider so giving the impression of more room.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You know me so well :-D
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Peter.N. wrote:compared with the XM of course and you can get two armchairs or a settee in that. :shock:

Peter
You certainly can, ive had both in our XM estate :lol:

Xantia vs XM ride, well mine is an Activa and so is a little firmer at low speeds than normal Xantias. I don't think you will find another car to match the ride quality of an XM, unless its an older generation of Citroen estate. However, the Xantia is very good, you can play around with different spheres to make it even better. Its the next best thing to an XM really, just a bit smaller. Im surprised you have not tried living with a Xantia estate yet Peter.

There are still some Xantias around so having your pick will be easier. The HDi 110 will be the one to go for, usually found in SX or Exclusive trim levels but sometimes LX too.

I much prefer the XMs driving position, more room and its a better layout, however the Xantia isn't cramped. The C5 is better than both, for me anyway.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10