new to c5's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robrome

new to c5's

Post by robrome »

hi all i am new to the world of Citroen i have just got us a c5 3Lt on a 2002 the car is running great
my last car was a pajero (import)
the small problem i do have is the software for a vdo dayton navtech i have been every where but no one seems to wont to know(to old)
are there any updates or maps around the map that is with car is home made (UK and ether c5 or 05 not sure)all works as should hoping some one can help
KevMayer
My Cars:

Re: new to c5's

Post by KevMayer »

Firstly. Welcome to the Forum.

The software is for the whole display system and so, you wouldn't see anything on your screen if you need the software.
The map data is on a seperate CD.

Is it just an updated map CD that you need?

The C5 uses the same map data as BMW, Opel and Renault of the same era (also Peugeot).

You can download 2010/11 maps from this link:-

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/navteq/ ... nault.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
robrome

Post by robrome »

i do have both cds software is v5.00 maps i dont know wherther new or old is there any way i can tell thanks for all your help
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you put the map CD in your computer CD drive and look at the file info that may tell you.
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
robrome

Post by robrome »

thank you for the fast replys
robrome

Post by robrome »

when i got the car there where 2 cd's one is the map and the other says cd software what is the software one for sorry to sound dumb but this is the 1st car we have had with this stuff on it so i know nothing about any off it (derrr)any help will be grateful
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The colour screen is just like a computer monitor.

The processor which controls the colour screen is inside the dashboard behind the instrument panel.

The processor runs on (as far as I can work out) Windows CE, so, this is the operating system, just like Windows XP etc. on your home computer.

The Software on your Software CD v5.0 is the controlling program for the whole colour display and display processor. This software runs in Windows CE and creates the display layout and interprets data coming from the vehicle's data network to display figures on the screen.

The map CD is just a database of map information.

So, although the software CD sets up the SATNAV screen it does far more than just the SATNAV.
Cheers, Kev

robrome

Post by robrome »

thanks for all the input guys
this software v5.00 i have is it the latest or do i need a updated one?
all so finding it hard to get the maps that Kev Mayer is there any where easier as i don't have much downloading experience
i can just about turn the pc on let alone tec stuff lol
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Welcome to the FCF :-D

Im sue you will love your C5, great cars!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Hi I had a c5 same vintage be carefull of what you get to update your sat nav the bit that you put the cd in below and to the right of the steering wheel is very prone to throwing a wobbly if you put a wrong disk in,the sat nav will not work,have a look on ebay there used to be people on there who sold them,somebody has already told you that the same system was on other cars,also try a breakers for a later model c5 sat nav disk,I know it might seem a waste but maybe the best course is to buy a new sat nav there are lots of deals at Halfords and you get free updates ,they have the advantage over a old system like yours as the new cd for yours will be at least £30 on ebay and in a couple of years you will need to do it again so £60 well spent at Halfords is cheap
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The sat nav on the early C5 is, in my opinion, excellent.

You have so much more control over it than you do with a mobile sat nav and I have quite a good Navman sat nav ( S80 ) and I've used TomTom, but, I much prefer the unit built into the C5.

If you put the wrong disk into the drive the system just simply tells you you've put in the wrong disk. You won't break the sat nav system by putting in the wrong disk.

If you can get an updated map disk then you'll have a really good system. But, it should work very well with an old disk.
Cheers, Kev

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

KevMayer wrote:The colour screen is just like a computer monitor.

The processor which controls the colour screen is inside the dashboard behind the instrument panel.

The processor runs on (as far as I can work out) Windows CE, so, this is the operating system, just like Windows XP etc. on your home computer.
That's an interesting snippet Kev would you mind explaining a bit more about how you came to that conclusion, would be really really interested if you've managed to get into the operating system, could open up a world of di&king about :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
robrome

Post by robrome »

thank you all for your input
we are well pleased with the car so far hope it is as good if not better than our pajero (5years no probs then one big let down)
robrome

Post by robrome »

i do agree with you Kev i also have used tomtom and other satnavs but i do like this one just hoping i can get map updates think im on 05 mapping at moment but its working ok
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Hello Cachaciero,

I did a lot of searching a couple of years ago when the sat nav in my C5 packed up.

I searched for a software update to see if that would cure the problem. I took my instrument cluster out and found the colour display processor. I tried lots of things to try to get my satnav working. Eventually came to the conclusion it was a hardware proble. This is a link to my original post:-

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=25667" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tried the sat nav software cd in my home computer. Windows XP didn't recognise it and neither did Linux.

I eventually came across a forum where I found that the operating system used is Windows CE. The software is probably written in C or C++. I tried to set up a virtual machine with Windows CE but couldn't manage it and so gave up.

As seen in the post attached, I found an electronics company in Germany who could repair my processor. They gave a 12 month warranty on the reapir and It's still running today, nearly 3 years later.
Cheers, Kev