Hello Everyone! Newby needs help and advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Hello Everyone! Newby needs help and advice

Post by avamotor »

Hello to all on French Car Forum,

I am after the help or advice from members who have presumably been "here" before!

I have recently purchased a Citroen Xantia 1.9td 1999 S reg but have noticed a hydraulic fluid leak from the front left hand side of the car. Having now removed the wheel arch liner I think I have found the culprit, a solid pipe that runs from a flexi pipe between the pressure regulation unit (located on the front side of the engine next to the gearbox) and disappears over the gearbox somewhere possibly to the valve block located at the rear of the gearbox but I havent exactley seen where it runs to yet.

Does this pipe disconnect at the flexi hose and can normal brake pipe be used along with a normal brake flaring kit or is it a different flare plus pipe etc to normal cars? can i also connect into a good section of pipe.

Could someone please advise me on how to get this repaired without having to go to the "stealers"!
Last edited by avamotor on 27 Jan 2012, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Re: Hello Everyone! Newby needs help and advice

Post by wotwot »

Hi and welcome,The pipe is a different size to regular brake pipe.Plaides apparently are the people to use I think.
Is it split or kinked.others will be along tomoz probably now it is late for the old boys on here LOL.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like the PAS supply hose to me- it runs all the way from the pump to the rack - the long way round! It's all one piece, and the flexi is requried as it acts as a pulsation damper. New one is >£100 from Citroen :twisted: Pirtek or similar should be able to repair it / make a new one. Have fun getting it out! :roll:
Richard W
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Thank you for your reply's so far, I dont think its split or ruptured as such just worn at its bracket with a slow but constant leak whilst the engine is running as soon as the engine is switched off it stops dripping.

I am not entirely sure how to upload the photo here for clarity purposes.

All I can describe, behind the passenger side front plastic wheel liner and plastic protector is a black coated coil (hydraulic pipe) which is in good condition, running almost parallel is my "dud" rusted hydraulic pipe which runs from a short flexi pipe in front of the gearbox it passes through a bracket with 3 bolts through the inner chassis/inner body then goes up over the end of the gear box to I suspect the valve block (but will look tomorrow in better daylight to check its destination).

The point of pipe failure is where the pipe bends out above the bracket (attached to the inner wing area, which the pipe is really corroded) and the pipe beaneth the bracket and rubber protector is okay but it is illegal to cut out a defective section and replace a short section with new?

would someone point me in the right direction regarding details of pipe diameter, the size of the olive/flare and is it only main "stealer" that supply the rubber seals to seal up the pipework, any photo of a Xantia Mark 2 pipe flare and sealing rubber would be greately appreciated as I suspect my flaring kit will not be adequate on this car due to the presures involved, if someone could help me please.

Thank you in advance.

Garry
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

There's a topic in the 'Supersticky' section which describes how to put pictures up for us to see.

here's a link http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=35470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please have a go. We like pictures.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Thanks for the photo info, please find hopefully a photo of the offending pipe.

Advice or help gratefully recieved!

Link below:-

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello and thank you RichardW, having been out this morning and dismantled some of the car, I have traced it from the belt driven pump (the second pipe furthest away from the pully wheel) and as it dips and bends around various engine ancillaries this is indeed the offending pipe, but I cannot yet find the end!! where at the back of the gearbox around the PAS mechanism does this end? is that bit difficult to get to?

I have uploaded a photo at the point of its leak/failure, is this a high pressure hose or could i cut out the worst affected section insitu and using a rubber pipe (from a Peugeot 405 power steering system) and jubilee clips make a temporary repair?

Or are the pressures involved far too high?

Picture link below:-

can these things be repaired successfully or is it a case "another" from the scrappies?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It goes to the pinion valve on the rack, which is where the steering column joins on - hence it goes around 3 sides of the engine bay. Unlikely you can repair it with rubber hose and jubilee clips - you might getn one off a scrapper, but note there are differnt ones for different engine / box combinations. If the rest of the pipe is sound then you could get a new secion brazed in, otherwise, Pirtek or similar should be able to fix it.
Richard W
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

pipe was repaired by pirtek and reffited tonight in freezing tempertures but its all good and working.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Garry