Xantia problem list...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NI-XANTIA

Xantia problem list...

Post by NI-XANTIA »

Hi all, need some help here. My xantia 1900TD estate has had these problems for a while now but they arnt a real problem except now the MOT rules in N Ireland are changing and it could see "le bus" off the road.

Dash lights dont work!
Airbag light on!
Clutch clip keeps breaking!
Breaks too sharp!

So the dash warning lights all work but the back lights dont light up so at night i cant see the speedo or rev counter. Ive replaced the dimmer switch but no luck. Any ideas?

The airbag light stays on. This wasnt a problem before as i removed the bulb lol but now they are going to test airbags??? Did the early Xantias have airbags? Im thinking of removing the airbag unit and replacing the steering wheel with a non airbag steering wheel? If the first xantias had no airbags?

The clutch clip breaks every 6 months. The car had a new clutch kit fitted 30k miles ago so could the problem be the clutch cable or poor quality clips off ebay? Im making a metal one for next time so this shouldnt be a problem.

Car is not long through MOT but the tester told me the breaks were too sharp? I was like WTF but the wife agrees, maybe im just used to it but they do seem very very good/sharp. Any ideas?

Think this is all for now. Any help would be great, next MOT is due 13th December 2012 but i want to be ready.
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Xantia problem list...

Post by Lighty »

The dash lights will likely need new bulbs, not a 5 min job, but not too bad.
The Airbag light fault is usually bad connections under the seats, so pull apart all connectors and reconnect again, this may cure the fault.
Sharp brakes, could be delay, caused by air in the system, try bleeding all calipers, and I bet it will be fine.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Sounds like a quick dismantle of the clocks to replace bulbs,Check the clutch cable has been routed correctly is it stiff to operate,Has the mot tester not tested a xantia before,they are sharp cant be failed unless they are not pulling the car up !!!.Someone will be along to advise on the airbag light.
Oh and buy the way how the hell is he going to test the airbag, maybe he'll drive it into the wall at the back of the workshop :lol: .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Or the sharp brakes will be that someone has done the 'mod' and removed the spring from the actuating plunger behind the brake pedal pendant. It's a black tube between the pendant and the dosuer. Some like to remove the spring inside the plunger and replace it with a length of copper water pipe to give the brakes a sharper, more positive feel.

The clutch clip keeping breaking is a sure sign the clutch is worn out. Does it feel heavy? A good 1.9TD clutch should be as light as a feather. The good news is that the clutch job is not too bad and is certainly DIY'able. There's a full guide on here. It's a quirk of the 'pull' clutch that the more worn it gets the heavier it gets. Often replacement is signalled before it starts to slip because it gets so heavy and breaks clips.

Dash bulbs are common. As Lighty says, not a five minute job as in a MK1 the steering wheel has to come off to remove the steering wheel cowls before the instrument pod can come out.

You'll need 20 R-286 bulbs to do the job properly. Don't just replace the dead ones as you'll find those that did previously work will no longer work when replaced. Replace all the ones that look a bit blackened when looked at against the light...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
exect

Post by exect »

No one has mentioned that the slip ring assembly in the steering wheel can cause airbag light problems.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

exect wrote:No one has mentioned that the slip ring assembly in the steering wheel can cause airbag light problems.
This is true, but far less common than dirty electrical contacts below the seats.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
NI-XANTIA

Post by NI-XANTIA »

Thanks guys, im off tomorrow so will have a good hoak around and see whats what. I had the clocks out today and the bulbs looked fine, i swaped them about but no luck. Ive been offered another xantia with a blow engine for scrap money so maybe buy it or a donar car.

Thanks again, ill keep you all posted.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry, I mis-read the dash lights issue. I thought (it was late for me) that just some were out :oops: Sorry.

Is there voltage present on the dimmer and are all panel lights out, including the clock, heater and wireless?

If need be I can supply the specific wiring diagrams for your car; it's an MOT failure now not to have any speedo illumination...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont belive its a good idea to make a metal clutch clip/body as the original type is to protect the cable, as that will break if the clip cant,

did you put an ohm meter across each of the dash bulbs, as its not unlikely for them all to be dead,

i usualy go through all the dash bulbs with a meter,

i also belive once on goes the rest will follow,

regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

EDITED: Just re read the first post, dimmer switched played with... Have you check all fuese. I think theres more then one associated with them.

:oops:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
NI-XANTIA

Post by NI-XANTIA »

I didnt get a look at her today as i was away picking up my new xantia donar car but it has no faults.....maybe fix it instead lol. Time will tell. Thanks