xantia door locked and won't open

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alastair70

xantia door locked and won't open

Post by alastair70 »

My mates has a 96 xantia est 1.9D. and doesn't use a pc. His drivers door has locked, and the key is just turning in the lock. He forced the key with some pliers and felt something break in the lock, and he can now not get into it. The passenger door lock, the key just spins in the lock. The boot is not completely shut, could there be a way in there?

Does anyone know how we can get into the car now causing the miminal amount of damage. He is thinking of drilling the lock so he can get to the rods that he thinks control the lock. He has looked at the haynes manual but is unsure if this would work.

Please could someone give us some help ASAP
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Xantia door locked and won't open

Post by spider »

Its difficult to suggest things in a public forum to be honest.

The spinning means the key is worn in most cases rather than the lock (not an uncommon problem, same with the Pug Expert vans, same lock design) too.

For quick access, the breakdown services will be able to open it, I can't post here how obviously. A new key could be obtained from the dealer with the V5 and the key number (they can get this for a small charge if you do not have it) but there's a chance that may be no better.

A scrapyard complete lockset might be an easier option.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
alastair70

Post by alastair70 »

Thanks for that, however we have to get into the car today, and i know for certain that he isn't in a breakdown services (he's too tight) Would you send me a private message or email with your other ideas please, as i fear he will end up smashing a side window to get in and then buying one from a scrappy later to replace it!!
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

On the Citroen door lock the spinning lock a security feature of the lock design to prevent forcing or drilling the lock succeeding.
In my experience poor internal condition of the lock is at least as likely to cause spinning as a worn key.
I base this on refurbishing and retumblering a good number of these locks to suit specific keys.
Worried about giving any specific instructions about forced entry even by PM as it is clear the poster is not familiar with the car.

John
Xmexclusive
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

A local garage may be cheaper to call out than a breakdown service for just entry to the vehicle.

I can't really go providing info like this unfortunately as its never 100% clear who you are providing the information to on the internet. Thank you for understanding. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote:A local garage may be cheaper to call out than a breakdown service for just entry to the vehicle.

I can't really go providing info like this unfortunately as its never 100% clear who you are providing the information to on the internet. Thank you for understanding. :)
Quite correct in the circumstances Andy.
There is also the question of liability should problems arise.

Best to contact a local, mobile auto locksmith really.
Harry1975

Post by Harry1975 »

my locks are just a knackard, ive found being very gentle does the trick when the same happened to me, try your spare key if you have one as it will be less worn, then get on ebay and direct message some one breaking a xantia ask them about lock barrels and you will get some cheap (it what i did) they are easy to change just take door panel off using star keys 10mm spanner on back of door handle , pull the handle out a bit the barrel side a small slot screwdriver and there is a slot both side with a retrackable metal lug push in to release barrel and push it out ,then push new one in and put door panel back on, i hope this helps, i was locked out of mine in a busy morrisons car park with shopping :(