GSF parts don't like me

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

GSF parts don't like me

Post by charentejohn »

Just tried looking at this and I have to register to look at stuff, tedious and a bit old fashioned but ok then I thought........
So I filled in my details and it kept saying my user name and/or password contained non alpanumeric characters - they didn't because I tried again and again typing carefully. I then changed France (where I live and available from the menu) to UK and magically it was accepted, dodgy characters and all.
Great I thought I will look up some prices, not so fast...........
I was asked to log in so put in user name and password, then asked to click 'Send', thought I was logging in not sending an e-mail but never mind. Seems my password was incorrect. Tried 3 times and ended up with a screen saying just that, tried 3 times, no option to reset etc.

My question is are these people worth persevering to do business with or is their service as amateur as their web site ? #-o

Sorry to whinge a bit but late and very tedious. I know people refer to them for parts etc but so far not impressed, I assume there is an advantage to persevering and logging in ? 3rd rate web site coding really puts me off, I may try phoning tomorrow to see if a human being can make more sense.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: GSF parts don't like me

Post by DickieG »

GSF's website is a legend on here for being bloody awful, I gave up using it quite some time ago.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Prilliant03
My Cars:

Post by Prilliant03 »

I bought my accumulator sphere off them via EBay. Trying to use their website was enough to drive a man to (more) drink.
98 Xantia HDi 110
02 Aprilia RST1000 Futura

Life is like a sewer...... You only get out of it what you put in.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

My advice to anyone is phone them, or if one is nearby head to their shops.
Their old website used to be basic, but it worked.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

John - why not Oscaro or Mister-Auto? If I lived in France they would be getting a workout.

Even Rockauto, surprisingly, have cheap PSA stuff at times.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

GSF's web site is poop at the very best. However, try their eBay shop its a damn site better. I bought 2 litres of LDS fluid from them last week for £9.50 a litre, Royal Mail however decided they were going to use my package as a ball and it arrived with both bottles damaged and fluid everywhere. I emailed GSF and they sent out 2 replacements FOC no questions asked. Great customer service in my view.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, I will try phoning for prices once I have a list, I see they have branches near friends in the UK so may have them pop in.
Sadly your web site is often the face of the company these days, not always true that a neat site is for a good company but... If you turn up to a garage and find old rusty cars and a real tip of a workshop you would tend to go elsewhere.

Addo, I do use them, Oscaro is the best for price at the moment. I bought from them recently and parts were reasonable price and delivered under 48hrs. They do most parts I want but not all, such as internal mechanical bits which I don't need just yet (touch wood).
I will check a few prices and see if it is worth buying a few bits, for example if service parts are half the price then I can have someone bring me a few. Never hurts to have a few oil filters /brake pads in stock. Mostly interested in such as aux drivebelt, pulley, clutch cable to have as spares in case they go on a long trip.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

One of the things I love about modern cars, is being able to let go of such concerns. In the several years I have thrashed a Xantia all over the place, just one failure came close to stopping me - a PAS hose leak that became very large!

I do have - as an absolute backstop - a recovery/breakdown service membership but they are slow to respond and generally know less than me... The benefits are a tow home and accommodation if required. Really, though, if you have a good eye or a diligent mechanic there is no need to take spares on the road in non-arctic conditions. It just adds weight and locks in unnneeded anxieties.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

To think GSF was where all this started - or rather the AndysSpares forum. Blimey, that was a long time ago!
Watch 'em at GSF, they love to supply me with the wrong part on a regular basis. The lads at my branch prefer VWs...
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

DickieG wrote:GSF's website is a legend on here for being bloody awful, I gave up using it quite some time ago.
You can "download" their catalogue without logging in. But if you want the online shop as you all have found out it's a pain as you have to log in.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Charentjohn is absolutely right that today a company's website is its public face. For all the reasons cited, I too have given up attempting to use GSF's website and now ring their local branches to order parts or their HQ for advice; good service, knowledgeable and helpful staff.
Two completely new websites in 4 years, each significantly worse than its predecessor tells a familiar story. Before the end of the last century, it was generally recognised that requiring potential customers to 'register' was completely discredited as a useful marketing tool. The stupid part about it is that if, 5 years ago, a bit of effort had been put into finding a good consultant, the cost of his advice and guidance would by now have been repaid a hundred-fold in additional profits and in saving the cost of the last 're-design'. Indeed, as this thread demonstrates, if GSF's management had looked at the forum they could have got some sound pointers for free.

I think it was Niels Bohr who said "A few months in the lab can often save an hour in the library"; the original purpose of the Internet being to provide an international source of research papers.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I just registered and used the GSF site for the first time this morning.. i msut admit, I found it bearable.. It was all done in a minute, 2 discs, 2 droplinks, and a set of pads.. the only annoying thing, they wont deliver to work.. using the site needed some concentration...

hope the right parts turn up tomorrow ;)