Comfort spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Oh no! Now you have replaced old flat spheres with new, properly pressurised CX spheres, your car will spontaneously flip onto its roof during a reverse park manoevre, and burst into flames.

Actually, I'm curious to hear how it gets on. I know one fellow here who put DS21 rear spheres on the back of his Xantia and was quite happy with the result.
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re:

Post by aneesh84 »

addo wrote:Oh no! Now you have replaced old flat spheres with new, properly pressurised CX spheres, your car will spontaneously flip onto its roof during a reverse park manoevre, and burst into flames.

Actually, I'm curious to hear how it gets on. I know one fellow here who put DS21 rear spheres on the back of his Xantia and was quite happy with the result.

Hahahaha! Not yet replaced.... just ordered from AEP..... hope they don't burst into flames..... on the way to portugal! I am very curious also.... But i am sure anything will be better than the bumps i am having now..... my back hurts each day i come to office!
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The worst two things for suspension I have ever driven are (in order) a tarted-up BMW E39 with cut springs, and an unloaded dump truck. The truck was HORRIBLE on speed bumps - you about put your head through the roof panel. With several tonnes in the back it drove harshly (more like the BMW).

If there is a club in Lisbon for the older Citroëns, maybe see if they offer sphere gassing? That would help with the accumulator and rear centre spheres.
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re:

Post by aneesh84 »

addo wrote:The worst two things for suspension I have ever driven are (in order) a tarted-up BMW E39 with cut springs, and an unloaded dump truck. The truck was HORRIBLE on speed bumps - you about put your head through the roof panel. With several tonnes in the back it drove harshly (more like the BMW).

If there is a club in Lisbon for the older Citroëns, maybe see if they offer sphere gassing? That would help with the accumulator and rear centre spheres.
I wish there was (or if there is, hope someone tell me about it). Not only could i not find a regassing shop here, also the big car part dealers: Stand bar rata, nor auto, autozitania just didn't sell spheres anymore despite having a expensive retail price. Citroen charges 55 euros for a sphere, so if you are buying a couple of them, it becomes really expensive.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: Comfort spheres

Post by aneesh84 »

aneesh84 wrote:
XantiaDaveEire wrote:
aneesh84 wrote:Hi aerodynamica.... my 1.9TD hydropneumatic Xantia spheres were flat and my central valves and ECU were not working, and I just don't have the resources to get them working. So I went ahead with your comment and ordered 2 CX turbo spheres(500cc 75bars ) for the front and 2 Xantia non-turbo (400cc 40 bar) spheres for the back. Just placed the order with AEP to ship them to portugal. Hope they provide decent softness and damping!
Let us know how you get on with them when you fit them :-D
Yes I will keep you updated! :-)
Finally installed the spheres of Cx in the front and Xantia non turbo at the back. They were IFHS spheres that I received from AEP with the following part numbers SSCX75FG and SSXA40RX (75 bars 500cc and 40 bars 400 cc respectively). I must say I am very satisfied with the results. The car has that soft floating carpet feel. I would say, if you really abandon the hydractive system on a xantia, this is the way to go. There is a slight roll though, but very much tolerable.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

aneesh84 wrote:There is a slight roll though, but very much tolerable.
Excellent! A nice result :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
faddy
My Cars: 2008 C5 VTR+ 2.0i Auto

past:
2003 C5 LX HDI 110
Honda Civic
Yaris Verso
Mercedes A-Class
Rover 213
BX
CX Familiale
Peugeot 505
VW 412
VW 1600 (Type 3)
VW 1303 Beetle

Post by faddy »

Do folks notify their insurance of "modification" when fitting non-standard spheres?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

No because there's not a single insurance inspector in the world who would notice.

Comfort spheres have a split following though. My opinion is they are a waste of money and totally unnecessary.

The only place they make slight sense is on a Hydractive car stuck in hard mode. I still think its better to fix the hydractive than buy comfort spheres because in hard mode the flow of lhm between the two sides is cut off so the car won't ride or handle like a non hydractive car anyway.

I get that some people like them but I suspect they have mostly fitted them to faulty cars. Thus masking the fault and believing they have made a worthwhile upgrade.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That's my view, too.
Chris