Fitting horn(s) to 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Fitting horn(s) to 1.9td

Post by isisalar »

Looks like I'm going to have to fit some universal horns to the car, at about £11.50 e@, not as costly as I feared. Anyone know what OE ones cost?
I, would like some advise, re the fitting.I went to the local factors yesterday, after a final hammer attempt,and had a look at whats available.The 'high tone' ones certainly look very similar to the OE.
On the car, one horn has one wire attached, and the other has two. The horns in the shop have spade end connectors, and i believe, were available in one and two connector types, so it does seem fairly straightforward.
Can I fit the new horns to the existing bracket?
Is the earth through the bracket?
On the two wire horn how do I check the connections are correct, does it matter?
Any tips about doing this job
Is it necessary to fit both horns?
Thanks
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Fitting horn(s) to 1.9td

Post by Xantidote »

From memory, my Xantia only has the one horn. If you get a pair of horns, then they'll probably be marked H (high notes) and L (low notes), and overall they should sound nicer than a single unit, though I've no complaints about mine. The downside of two horns is that they'll take double the current, risking ultimately burning out the horn switch, unless you fit a relay (edit - as you already have 2 horns, you should be OK). Many older cars of decades ago had two large horns with relay fitted.

Use the existing bracket as long as the new horn(s) of similar weight. This saves you having to sort out another bracket.

Horns with single wire will earth through the bracket. I'd expect horns with two wires will need one taking to earth, which you could achieve by fixing the earth lead under the bolt fixing the horn to the bracket.

I'd expect new horns to have some sort of wiring instructions. If you're unsure how to wire up your new horn(s), just experiment by temporarily connecting with jumper leads direct to the battery. Just brush the power lead across the top of the + terminal. Don't jump when the horn works :-D

An after-thought. Have you removed the old horn? It's not something as simple as it not having a good earth anymore, is it? Any amount of thumping with a hammer will not make it work if it's not got a decent earth :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I've just removed the horns.In fact they both have 2 wires!
I can't however see any sort of colour coding on the wires.
One connector had no circlip on and fell off quite easily, and the contacts were a bit 'green', the other one was similar.
Cleaned up the contacts, but still silence.
Off to the factors now.
If anyone can help with the wiring ID I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I wouldn't expect any horn with 2 connectors to be sensitive as to which wire goes to the battery/horn push, and which goes to earth. As your existing horns have two connection each, it's just a matter of replacing the old with the new, wired up as the old ones.

You may wish to check each new horn works before fitting to the bracket, by connecting each up temporarily (separately will be easiest) across the battery.

Previously suggested you should check the earth is OK. I assume you are happy that power is getting to the horns, and it's not the horn push that's at issue?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

MOT station checked that there was feed going to and from the horns, all ok.
I had to go to another branch of the factor's to get the horns, and as it's going to be dark soon the fitting will have to wait for another day
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white