Quick Xantia questions.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stepto1
My Cars:

Quick Xantia questions.

Post by Stepto1 »

Just a few questions that it's time to ask.

Are the tow bars the same on mk 1 and 2 Xantias?

Are the doors interchangeable for mk 1 and 2's?

At motorway speeds (80+), what sort of mpg could I expect from a 2.0 turbo or V6?

Kind regards,
Steve.
Xantia SX 1.9TD Gone to the breakers
Xantia LX 2.0HDI Taxed and MOT'd at last!
Xantia 1.8 16V SX On loan to brother-in-law
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Quick Xantia questions.

Post by jgra1 »

Steve..

V6 I would hope for 40.. Once, I did seem to get 44 out of my cooupe.. but I think it's a little more slippery shaped and I may have been more at 70... ( I was following Jim ;) )

Saying that, the xant is lighter so..

I would be suprised if the doors and even the bar are not interchangeable..

John
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stepto1 wrote:
At motorway speeds (80+), what sort of mpg could I expect from a 2.0 turbo or V6?
I've never had a V6, but my Activa struggled to better 30mpg under any circumstances. I once got 36mpg out of it cruising at 70mph for 200 miles. Economical they are not. Jim reckons a V6 is more economical.

Driven hard, an Activa will get as low as 14mpg. You don't need to ask how I know this..
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

I'm impressed with 14mpg! I once AVERAGED 9mpg out of a 3.9 Range Rover and found that 10 quid would provide 20 miles in a Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi!

I drive about 500 miles a weekend but I don't like oil burners. I think they are less reliable and not as economical as people think. I want an Activa but also tempted by a V6.

Any thoughts?

Steve.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Stepto1 wrote:I'm impressed with 14mpg! I once AVERAGED 9mpg out of a 3.9 Range Rover and found that 10 quid would provide 20 miles in a Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi!

I drive about 500 miles a weekend but I don't like oil burners. I think they are less reliable and not as economical as people think. I want an Activa but also tempted by a V6.

Any thoughts?

Steve.
just one thought ... get an activa. of if you can a v6 activa ... though for that kinda cash, i'd upgrade the activa engine :twisted:
why?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stepto1 wrote:I'm impressed with 14mpg! I once AVERAGED 9mpg out of a 3.9 Range Rover and found that 10 quid would provide 20 miles in a Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi!

Any thoughts?

Steve.
Thoughts? Over the same run, at similar speeds, my HDi 110 Xantia did 35mpg...
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

My old 1.8 16V can get to Plymouth from Nottingham for about £40 sitting at about 80mph.

I recently borrowed my girlfriend's Seat Leon FR 2.0 diesel to do the same trip. It used MORE fuel at the same speed!

Now i may have had my foot down when I had the chance but I'm still unconvinced by modern diesels.

Steve.
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's genuine motorway cruising, then the way petrol Xantias seem to be geared your efficiency is tapering off above 70MPH. Driving on the throttle (not cruise) with a V6 would be the most economical as most people instinctively let the car "sag" a little in cruising speed on a climb rather than hold it like cruise control does. Also, windows up and A/C on - this makes a positive difference to mileage.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

A/C on ? Rather then the drag caused by windows down?

I always thought that having C/C on would be the most efficient way of driving?
Sportrack off road toy
Series One Land Rover
Thundercat race boat
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I often drive my V6 for several hundred miles in France at 85MPH (indicated 90) usually on cruise. It gets 29-31 MPG. I am sure that it would be a bit more economical at 70. I don't believe it is capable of much more than 35MPG. On balance, I think that CC improves economy. Except in very hot weather, I don't think that A/C increases fuel consumption.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Cruise is thirstier - it maintains speed with no regard for manifold vacuum. It's easy to observe in a car with trip confuser fitted.

I use it a lot; the benefit for me is that it doesn't slow on hills, where a person driving on the throttle will. On a four or five hour commute this can make 20 minutes' difference.
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

I think a lot of how much fuel economy you get is down to driving style. I certainly find that cruising along at 65-70 is a lot more economical than going faster.

That's why I generally drive quite slowly ;)

I have only owned a 1.9d BX and Xantia but I have always banked on an average of 50 MPG on these two.

After owning several big, big engined cars I know one thing. Big engines are never economical :)
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Brother got 42mpg out of his 406 v6 saloon on a run on cruise at 70, best I've ever got from the bx16v was 32mpg worst 18. I'd have thought a 2l 16v would be much the same as the box.
Some interesting threads popped up on a bike forum about real world diesel mpg's, none of them came close to quoted and most were in the 40-50 bracket, a lot were mid to high 30's with average driving, bit of motorway, bit of spirited driving, bit of town etc.
On a run in the veg burner we get 40 MPG with the 2 kids and a boot full of gear, the wife's lil 1,2 fiat bravo manages 42 MPG with much the same!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Timmo wrote:Brother got 42mpg out of his 406 v6 saloon on a run on cruise at 70, best I've ever got from the bx16v was 32mpg worst 18. I'd have thought a 2l 16v would be much the same as the box.
Some interesting threads popped up on a bike forum about real world diesel mpg's, none of them came close to quoted and most were in the 40-50 bracket, a lot were mid to high 30's with average driving, bit of motorway, bit of spirited driving, bit of town etc.
On a run in the veg burner we get 40 MPG with the 2 kids and a boot full of gear, the wife's lil 1,2 fiat bravo manages 42 MPG with much the same!
I regularly got between 55 and 60mpg out of the the HDi (Jim's Rattiva II) when I had it. Highest I ever got off a tank was 63mpg calculated brim-emtpy. It is well worn in though.

The Xantia 1.9TDs I had averaged out at 44mpg over around 60k miles, and the ZXTD the same. I ran my XM 2.1TD on veg and it averaged 43mpg over 20k miles in a year, which was mostly 80-90mph cruising up and down various private test tracks between Lancashire and Bucks ;-)
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Towbar for Xantia 1 will fit series 2- definately. I have done that. Only estate is different to hatchback. Estate series 1 will probably be the same as estate series 2.

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS