HDI rattling heard when accelerating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Re: HDI rattling heard when accelerating

Post by dnsey »

I agree that it's probably normal Diesel knock.
Put your mind at rest by replacing the undershield (it's only a 10 minute job!), and the upper acoustic cover if it's missing, and have a listen then. All that soundproofing was fitted for a reason :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote: All that soundproofing was fitted for a reason :)
Quite :)

I'm still running mine without an undertray, mainly because I've not sorted out a couple of damaged mounting studs :oops:

I know that removing the undertray was what really alerted me to a boost leak on the turbo. It sounded like a howling gale under accelleration yet was inaudible with the tray in place...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with Jim, in fact modern direct injection diesels actually inject a small ammount of fuel in advance of the main burst, this ignintes so that when the main charge enters it doesn't suddenly detonate which is what gave old IDI engines their characteristic knock.

Direct injection engines are by nature noiser than IDIs and without electronic control they still would be. If anyone remembers the first Perkins direct injection engine the 'Prima' having mechanical injection it sounded as though all the big end had gone so they introduced two stage injection - mechanically which was very clever and that made a tremendous difference. Remember the first DI transits?

On the old Perkins 4/108 engines the crankshaft would break if it ran for long with over advanced pump timing, I know, it happened to me three times! But that only had a three bearing crankshaft, such things don't usually happen now.

A diesel engine is built to withstand the sudden increase of pressure on ignition, a petrol engine isn't and will suffer as a result of pre ignition, compare the weight of the two engines.

Getting back to the original post, my 406 knocks when cold, sounds like only on one cylinder at the moment but I'm not intending to do anything about it as I don't regard it as a problem.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Remember the first DI transits?
Oh yes :twisted: They sounded like a river of spanners flowing over a waterfall...

That the HDi is so intrinsically quiet and smooth is a testament to fantastic design work. Some later diesels, notably Poxhall, VW and some Japs still haven't quite cracked it from what my ears tell me.

My neighhbour has a near-new diesel Poxhall Septum and that sounds like a bag of spanners on a cold morning, as does one of my other neighbour's Mitsubishi Animal ute thing. It's hard to start, smokes like a chimney and sounds as rough as guts when cold and hot. It's not that old either... It's breathtakingly ugly too. Even he detests the wretched thing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I think you'll find petrols do have EGR. I thought I'd seen it on a few cars, but I know for definite that I have seen it on a 1.6 Audi A3 in my mates yard, he's a mechanic and was doing the head gasket on it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote: Rather than suffering pre-ignition, all diesels exhibit a condition known as ignition delay where a finite time elapses between injection and the onset of combustion. Diesel has a fairly low flash point. Above this temperature diesel will spontaneously combust and it's ability to combust will not be changed by being in a very hot combustion chamber; if the temperature is above flash point then diesel will go bang. That's a fundamental principle of a compression ignition engine...
Since we're having an in depth technical discussion.... that's not quite right, Jim :lol: Flash point is the temperature at which a liquid has a high enough vapour pressure to support self sustaingin combustion above it (it being the vapour and not the liquid that burns). For petrol this is well below 0degC - for diesel it is much higher, above 60degC certainly - put a match to a bowl of diesel at ambient temp and it will go out probably. The property of interest for diesel engines is auto ignition temperature - the temperaure at which the fluid spontaneously ignites - this is around 200 degC, a bit lower than petrol.

DickieG - what did you do to disable the EGR?
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Richard :-D You're absolutely right! Schoolboy error there :oops:
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

RichardW wrote:DickieG - what did you do to disable the EGR?
Removed the vacuum pipe running to the EGR solenoid (the one nearest the front of the car) then bunged up the vacuum hose with a screw, this is important to avoid vacuum leaks which will cause problems with the turbo solenoid. I also fitted a short length of hose to the solenoid and bunged up that the same way to keep it clean inside, you can just see it in the top left corner of the following photo where the black hose with a blue and white ring on it is hanging down. If you unplug the electric plug you'll get fault codes and possibly cause the engine to run in limp home mode.

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
dnsey wrote: All that soundproofing was fitted for a reason :)
Quite :)

I'm still running mine without an undertray, mainly because I've not sorted out a couple of damaged mounting studs :oops:

I know that removing the undertray was what really alerted me to a boost leak on the turbo. It sounded like a howling gale under accelleration yet was inaudible with the tray in place...
and you wonder why your hdi runs cool.....

would go some way to explaining why mine is quieter too ;)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've been looking into this 'pinking' issue that I menyioned earlier and I've found some interesting info which I'll run past you.

When I blanked the EGR pipe on my 2.2 Hdi I definatelly got a vibration under moderate acceleration which I found quite worrying at the time and it sounded like pinking and i suspected the timing was over advanced.

I've read a conversation on the forum of "Ecomodder.com" and here's a quote from one of the chaps:-

Quote:-

Okay, here's why you have trouble when you disable the EGR. When the system is polluting your fuel/air charge with exhaust gases (something racers have been doing their best to prevent for, oh, eighty years or so) it makes the mixture harder to light and slower to burn (and cooler-burning, which cuts nitrogen oxide emissions). So the ignition advance curve was modified by the manufacturer for more advance to light the fire earlier. If you disable the EGR, you now have an over-advanced ignition, and you'll likely get ping, maybe a lot. You could temporarily stop the ping by disconnecting the vacuum advance (and plugging the line). That's bad for fuel economy, however, so what you really need to do is re-curve the dizzy for less advance in the range where the EGR used to operate.

End quote

I've also seen other diesel related threads which talk about EGR systems needing/using advanced timing angles.

So, It appears that the ECU advances injection timing when EGR is active or at least when the ECU thinks it's initiated the EGR. So, if the EGR valve is opened but the pipe is actually blanked then the ECU is still probably advancing the timing, but, now the engine has a fast burning fuel/air mixture and this is probably what caused my pinking noise.

It's some way to explaining to me why my engine used to rattle with the EGR blanked and explains how a faulty EGR may cause a rattle.

I'd be interseted to hear what you think about this.

p.s. I didn't know Citrojim knew words like 'bollocks'. Such a clean living upstanding chap he is too :roll: :roll:
Last edited by KevMayer on 24 Jan 2012, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

KevMayer wrote: p.s. I didn't know Citrojim new words like 'bollocks'. Such a clean living upstanding chap he is too :roll: :roll:
Jim doesn't. It's the forum Nanny working in reverse :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:
KevMayer wrote: p.s. I didn't know Citrojim new words like 'bollocks'. Such a clean living upstanding chap he is too :roll: :roll:
It's not even that :lol: I've been spending too much time with Chris570 working on an XM... I blame him :lol:

Kev, seriously - I've been giving some thought to all of this and will comment later...
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:
It's not even that :lol: I've been spending too much time with Chris570 working on an XM... I blame him :lol:

Kev, seriously - I've been giving some thought to all of this and will comment later...
Not my fault the XM was designed by a Mr S Wonder and R Charles after a very heavy drinking session
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Good news, well for me anyway, I was pulling on to a dual carriageway on a steep slip road. A red mist came down and I realised I was doing 3200rpm in 2nd and.........silence. So looks like it is just Injectors and they were quieter in general today than last time I went out so hopefully will improve as the tank of diesel+additive is run through.
Was warmer today though, also no white mist / smoke as engine warmed up. Probably just temp and less condensation in the exhaust but also good news.

Other upside is that I now know about the potential aux belt pulley problem so will change it when an opportunity permits. Luckily no urgency but, as said, I will do the paint stripe test. Just goes to show all info is good info as it throws up things I would never have considered otherwise.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

That's good news.

So, panic over. It was Professor Plumb, in the Library with a Candlestick.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.