Citroen ZX 1.9TDSX Immobiliser trouble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mastikk
My Cars:

Citroen ZX 1.9TDSX Immobiliser trouble

Post by Mastikk »

Hey ya'll!

Iv'e just bought a Citroen ZX that's an MOT failure, I'm no mechanic but like to have a go, every now and again something really stumps me though.
Here's my story...

The car's failed on a few things, one being the horn. I was told there were troubles with the immobiliser so it was disabled also rendering the horn useless. (Stupidly) I plugged back in everything to find out what was the problem. The immobiliser, a relay under the steering wheel, and a fuse next to the battery on the engine.
After much searching I found that a fuse under the steering wheel had blown, only just, it was barely visible in fact. Ahhh!!!! the time and pain it would have saved if I'd noticed it first time. Oh well what's done is done.
Trouble is, is now the immobiliser has kicked in and set itself on, its a keypad above the gearstick.
So I called the lady I bought the car from, she told me the immobiliser had been disabled before she had bought it! (I guess I didn't understand her when she told me about the horn)
I think the immobiliser is faulty though, 3 of the keys are worn enough to tell they have been used the most so I tried different combos and I just get a green and red light, why would it have been disabled in the first place anyway aswell.
I don't think the car has an ecu, i think it might go straight to a solenoid on the fuel pump. But don't know???
Any ideas on how to get the car started and get around this or get the immobiliser working again would be great!
Many thanks in advance.
Oh if you can't contact me on forum because of anti theft stuff please reach me by email or 0-75-9-1-4-0-2-1-2-5
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Citroën ZX 1.9TDSX Immobiliser trouble

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

if the imobaliser is on and you dont have the code, firstly try the factory default code which is 1111,

if that doesent work you might have to remove the imobaliser from inside the armoured cover on the end of the fuel pump,

this can be done in situe but it is very hard to gain access to all of the shear/security bolts,

when i did mine it took quite a bit of time and when you think you have removed them all there will be at least one more,

once you have the armour off you can conect a switched live feed which you will find in the black square plug block just forward of the pump,

were in East Sussex are you located

regards malcolm
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for getting in touch.
I have this weekend off and and I think Saturday is going to stay dry, so i'll try what you suggest then.
Would it be easier to just pull off the pump? Its the lucas not the bosch i think? And If they are shear bolts will I need to chisel them off?
I'm in Cross in Hand, its halfway between Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells.
Thanks for your'e help, I was really worried I would have had to pay a small fortune all because of my stupidity and a blown fuse!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its like the pump on my 1.9TD XANT there are quite a few shear bolts, some of which are sunk down well below the surface,

the ones i enitialy couldnt see i had to cut /chisle the armour away before getting a punch to the shear bolt head's,

its not realy hard more time consuming,

i used a combination of and angle grinder with a worn down cutting disc,and a mini dremil type tool with a tinny cutting disc on to cut the armour away for access to some of the bolts,

my workshop is in St Leonards on sea,

regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Try turning on the ignition but not starting the car and leaving it like that for 30 minutes to maybe an hour as that can reset the keypad sometimes on diesels.

The green and red light being on at the same time is a bit of a worry as that generally signals a problem with the keypad, it might be worth getting hold of another keypad then pressing various combinations of the worn numbers on the present keypad, I believe the code isn't stored in the keypad so you could substitute another pad.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

Hah, small world, I just moved from Magdalen Rd behind Warrior Square in St. Leanords.

Iv'e had a think and will probably just pull the pump off, it looks too tight for me to go bashing and grinding around.
Can I keep the keypad plugged in after that so it atleast looks like its still attached?

On the subject of the keypad the green and red lights aren't permanently on but I'm not keen on the idea of replacing it then finding out I'm wrong about the code, thanks though. I don't suppose you know if Citroen or somebody might have the code do you?

Once again thanks to the both of you for your'e help.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my last workshop was in St Johns rd which is off Magdalen Rd moved out of there Nov 05 to sillverhill,

if and when you de,imobalise your pump whichever route you take cap off all the openning on the pump,

and yes you can leave the key pad conected as i have,

its no good asking citroen if they have the code as i think the factory default is 1111,

and a lot of owners enter/change there own code so citroen would not have a record of that

regards malcolm
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

Thought I'd Google garages in the area, never realised how many there were. So couldn't identify you.

O.k, time for the stupid questions, how do I cap off the openings on the pump? And how can I go about taking the pump off without buggering up the timing?

That's good news about the keypad, I wonder if I could make it look like the delorean in back to the future
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you have to drop the cam belt off to remove the pump,

and to cap off the the opening in the pump just rap masking/insulation tape oround/over them,

regards malcolm
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

Ok cheers. Wish me luck
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

So just to keep you posted, its all back together now.

I had to take off the intercooler, master cylinder, and fuel pump.
After having the fuel pump off I realised that there was no way I could have exposed the immobilisers wiring with it on the engine. Maybe with a powerful dremmel but anyway, I don't have one.

So the job was a pig, damn awkward in places, I saw somebody had said you need hydraulic fingers and multi jointed arms or something like that. He was right!

So its all back together. But the bugger won't start, its got too damn cold and dark to continue with it now, plus I've flattened two batteries!
The fuels been primed and most the air should have been bled out, I think though that there's a leak on the return pipe above the injector on the first cylinder, so I'll replace tomorrow and double check the tightness of the injectors. Fingers crossed that will solve it!

As always, any ideas are muchly appreciated!
Ta,
Mark
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so have you got the solanoid shut off valve exposed now, and have you conected a switched live supply from the square black plucg block, so power is straight to the solanoid shut off valve with the ignition on and whilst crancking the engine,

regards malcolm
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

thanks malcolm. the immobiliser is bypassed, I have 12v coming from the original wires by-passing the immobiliser to the solenoid and earthing it through the fuel pumps body. Its all really neat and does the job (ie. its pumping fuel when the ignition is on). Its just coughing after that. I don't know how much difference this makes but the primer bulb isn't firm all the time, I'm losing fuel through the return pipe off the first cylinder??? Could this be where I'm leaking air in through?@??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i thought the Lucas pump was not affected by leekoff pipes leeking, i have seen Lucas pumps leeking fuel through the throtle spindle not affecting the starting/running,

regards malcolm
Mastikk
My Cars:

Post by Mastikk »

It was my stupid fault, the car was just low on fuel. 3 jerry cans later and much priming and it rattled back to life. Just the exhaust and handbrake to fix now and she'l be back on the road (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all your'e help Malcolm, if you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods i'll buy you a pint, its about all there is to do in Cross in Hand lol.

And if anybody else reads this and needs advice, on how to do that, I'm probably not the best person to ask but I'll give it a shot!

:):):):):):):):):)