best price EOLYS fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

best price EOLYS fluid

Post by citronut »

im sure this has probably bin asked before,

were'z the best/cheapest place to buy the stuff

and is it best to use a proper filling kit???

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: best price EOLY fluid

Post by CitroJim »

I don't know the answer to the first but on the second point I believe it's very nasty toxic stuff and needs to be handled properly so yes, on that basis the proper filling kit will be essential...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok thanks hunny
and have you abandonded your DIS-LEXIA2 now you have a new toy :shock: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: best price EOLYS fluid

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure there will be adequate warnings on the container if applicable but:
Cerium, like all rare-earth metals, is of low to moderate toxicity. Cerium is a strong reducing agent and ignites spontaneously in air at 65 to 80 °C. Fumes from cerium fires are toxic. Water should not be used to stop cerium fires, as cerium reacts with water to produce hydrogen gas. Workers exposed to cerium have experienced itching, sensitivity to heat, and skin lesions. Animals injected with large doses of cerium have died due to cardiovascular collapse. Cerium(IV) oxide is a powerful oxidizing agent at high temperatures and will react with combustible organic materials. While cerium is not radioactive, the impure commercial grade may contain traces of thorium, which is radioactive. Cerium serves no known biological function.
But that is Cerium.
The stuff in Eolys is Cerium(III) oxide:
A major technological application for Cerium(III) oxide is a catalytic converter for the reduction of CO emissions in the exhaust gases from motor vehicles. In particular, cerium oxide is added into Diesel fuels. Another important use of the cerium oxide is a hydrocarbon catalyst in self cleaning ovens, incorporated into oven walls and as a petroleum cracking catalyst in petroleum refining.
It seems to be a dealer only part although it may be cheaper at the Peugeot dealer.
There also seem to be two different Eolys fluids the are not compatible.
There is also an after-market alternative from JLM
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I found the stuff at euro car parts so it might be cheaper there.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

How about not buying any at all? An alternative is to spend £15 for a Galetto cable from Ebay to help reprogram and then knock out the filter completely. I did just that last weekend and am aiming to post details when I've clocked up 500 miles DPF/ FAP (and therefore Eolys free). In the meantime I can say that it's reasonably straightforward job, if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Ah! but what happens at next years MOT (or even this year if after March).
see http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/01/04/chang ... you-ready/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note the bit about missing catalytic converters and "inapropriate mods"

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The lack of a FAP filter cant really be spotted if you knock the middle out of the particulate filter, so the mot thing is a red herring in my opinion.
If you need cheap fluid, GSF is cheap for their fluid, I think it is called Pat fluid or something similar, my local factors, SDL are cheapest, at £59 +vat for 5 litres.

Interested in this Galetto cable, tell me more
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: and have you abandonded your DIS-LEXIA2 now you have a new toy :shock: :lol: :wink:
Not quite Malcolm. It's in retirement though and awaiting a particularly quiet, rainy day for another look-see. We've not had a lot of rain yet so no look-see :lol:

One day...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
yeomills
My Cars:

Post by yeomills »

My C5 Mk11 2.2 HDI has done 73000 so am expecting the low Elois warning soon. I have already purchased the fluid and await a good day to top up. My question is can the lexia reset the system so I dont go into limp mode. I purchased a Lexia and am looking around for a suitable laptop to link to.
Barry
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Your Lexia certainly can reset the system, it is a little tricky till you get the hang of it. The process is not very self explanatory, but not too bad, and you cant really break anything in my experience.
I always tend to go into Injection, then parameters, then particulate filter and check the pressure differential 1st to see how blocked the FAP is before doing anything.
In my experience you want 0 mb at idle, certainly no more than 5mb, and about 60mb at 3000 rpm, certainly no more than about 80mb, if so the filter is getting blocked.
Hope the learned folk on here agree with this :-D
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yeomills wrote:My C5 Mk11 2.2 HDI has done 73000 so am expecting the low Elois warning soon. I have already purchased the fluid and await a good day to top up. My question is can the lexia reset the system so I dont go into limp mode. I purchased a Lexia and am looking around for a suitable laptop to link to.
Barry
you are aware there are two types of particulate fluid early and late types, which you must use to corect one for your car,
your car being a MK2 i should be the later type which i think they dont call EOLY's,
cant remember at the mo what they call it, but i do know it must not be mixed,
also i think im right in saying the early system has a float in the tank to indicate the level, and the later system has an electronic counter,
if the earlied system is topped up before the empty warning pops up you dont need to re/set the computer/memory,

and i nthink the later system you can get away without a DIS-LEXIA setion,

regards malcolm
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The fluid is now called Infinium by PSA, the old cars used DPX 42, and the filler lid is white, newer cars have a green lid and use Eyloys 176 (may be spelt wrong :) )
All cars calculate electronically, and dont actually "know" how much fluid is in the tank. I cut an old C5 tank apart, and it has a low level sensor, this seems to corrode badly, and will often jam so the system warning light cannot be put out
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Re the Galletto cable. The cable itself connects to the cars ecu in the same way as Lexia does, ie car com port to laptops usb.
Then there are following stages:

1.Connect to car and the Galletto program is used to extract the file that is the ecu's map/program to the laptop.
2. Modify the file to de-fap it. You will need a program such as Ecusafe for this. OR get someone who has this prog to do this for you (it's only around 500k)
3.Send the now modified file back to the ecu, again using Galletto.
4.Don't forget to bash out the filter!

Might sound worse than it actually is, to me it's a whole lot easier than messing around with fluid and retaining the FAP with it's associated regenerations on a ten year old car.
I can do this in more detail if needed but please bear in mind my earlier comment about wanting to get more miles on the clock post de-fap, as doing so will mean this will carry more weight when the car has done 500 miles or so. Talking of weight, that filter is pretty heavy!

This is type of cable I bought (this is just a sample that I've just seen on eBay):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galletto-1260 ... 46001fdaa9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps for now and that it isn't too far off-topic. (could start another thread)
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Lighty wrote:The lack of a FAP filter cant really be spotted if you knock the middle out of the particulate filter, so the mot thing is a red herring in my opinion.
I
Indeed you are correct however a particulate analyser stuck up the exhaust would tend to give the game away :-( and it is my understanding that the exhaust analisys is going to be a lot more comprehensive than is currently the case. You may be right, it may be a red herring but I am not so sure of that now, it's the one thing stopping me from removing the filter, that and the fact that currently I have no apparent problems with the existing system :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC