c5 key cutting cost

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

c5 key cutting cost

Post by sonoramicommando »

just curious to know how much it costs to have a key cut (not including programming) over in UK land. i'd like a spare, non-plip type basic key for my 2001 c5 but the price i was quoted here is pretty high (not to mention the locksmith didn't seem to be very sure of himself)
cheers,
sam
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: c5 key cutting cost

Post by Gibbo2286 »

High Street key shops here will supply and cut a key for about £7, not all of them though have the necessary blanks.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
sonoramicommando

blank + cut + transponder for 7 pound>? no way! :shock:
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I assumed from your original post that you just wanted a plain spare key to open the doors, transponder keys will need programming, you can buy them unprogrammed but the dealers decline to do them if they're from Ebay and the like, they reckon too many of them fail.

I had a main key supplied and programmed and a plain spare door key for £75 by a mobile locksmith who came to my place.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have had ebay keys cut, and they are generally poor quality, a basic non plip key is about £25 ordered to chassis no, and takes about 1 week from Citroen. anyone with a Lexia on here can program it for you, garage cost is around £30
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

The fob is the expensive part around £50 , then blade cut around £20 then recode to your car .
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sonoramicommando

ok so there are three key types? 1) a key with no transponder to open the door only, 2) a non-plip key with transponder and 3) a plip key with immobiliser transponder and remote central locking transmitter?
Gibbo2286 wrote:I assumed from your original post that you just wanted a plain spare key to open the doors, transponder keys will need programming, you can buy them unprogrammed but the dealers decline to do them if they're from Ebay and the like, they reckon too many of them fail.
Gibbo - sorry, reading my post again, it wasn't very clear.
just curious though, what good is a key if it hasn't a transponder to start the car. i guess it'd be helpful if i lock my key in the car but.
Gibbo2286 wrote:I had a main key supplied and programmed and a plain spare door key for £75 by a mobile locksmith who came to my place.

two keys for 75? that's still cheap.
Lighty wrote:I have had ebay keys cut, and they are generally poor quality, a basic non plip key is about £25 ordered to chassis no, and takes about 1 week from Citroën. anyone with a Lexia on here can program it for you, garage cost is around £30
A dealer here quoted me NZD 120 (about GBP 62) for a basic key cut and programming is on top of that. It's the same dealer who quoted me GBP 25 for a litre of LT LT71141. :roll:
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a natter with your local stealer for a genuine transponder key blank and then take it to a good locksmith followed by a Lexia session and you're home and dry.

You may be surprised. For my Xantia, a transponder key blank was just under £17 and our local lockkie charged me a fiver for cutting it... Not at all bad for the pukka article...

Lexia session was free...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vantastic
My Cars:

Post by vantastic »

I'm not an Auto lockie but do know quite a few...

seems the OP was a fter a valet key Ie only opens the doors as opposed to a full spare key (chip or chip 'n' blip)
best way to get a price is a quote from the stealer and then a few lockie quotes.Prices can depend on where in the UK or indeed the world you are. failing all else drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do....
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

Lighty wrote:I have had ebay keys cut, and they are generally poor quality, a basic non plip key is about £25 ordered to chassis no, and takes about 1 week from Citroën. anyone with a Lexia on here can program it for you, garage cost is around £30
Will a basic non plip key be able to start the car?
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Ordering a new key or plip blade from Citroen cut against the original factory code gives the best quality and fit of blade.
It avoids copying wear from a used key but does bring a different risk with its higher cost.
You have to be certain that the car locks are the original ones otherwise you are buying scrap keys that will not work in the locks.
In a car with changed locks I doubt that most Citroen dealers would take responsibility for supplying wrong parts or wrong code.
Most likely try and sell you a new lock and plip set.
I posted up a while ago details of how to measure up a Citroen cruciform key to calculate its original factory code.
A check worth doing before you buy replacements for a multi owner car even if a key card came with the car.

John
Xmexclusive
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

Thanks for the reply John ,I do a lot of fishing and I have a fear of loosing or getting my car key wet .All I want is a spare key that will start the car that I can hide on the car somewhere .My locks and keys are all the original ones , I dont need an oval type key just a basic one what do I ask the Citroen dealer for? I have a lexia for the programing the key .

David .
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi David

I will need to do a little bit of checking with you and turn out my C5 workshop manuals just to be sure we get it right before you order.
In part this is because I have never had a C5 just scavanged bits from them.

Of your concerns we can get rid of one of them straight away.
Dropping your plip into the water will not stop you getting into the car or starting it.
That is provided you can get the key out of the water again.
It may be worth you using the boaters trick of a small cork float on the ring so it is easier to see and retrieve a dropped key.
Getting a plip soaking wet will almost certainly kill the remote electronics at least until it is properly dried out.
The remote electronics are nothing to do with the immobiliser electronics which are fully water protected and needs no batteries.
All the remote (plip) electronics does is bypass physically needing to use the key in the car door locks.
Any correct key blade will operate the locks. The key does not need any immobiliser chip to work in the door locks.
No point in going much further with door security because thieves happily break the window glass and legistation only allows unbreakable glass for the windscreen. Most cars now have deadlocking so the thief then has to climb in the window to proceed.
Once in the car the typical ignition has a physical lock and seperate electronic protection.
The key blade operates the physical lock, releases the steering lock and turns on the car power supplies.
The key electronics need to be present correctly placed by the ignition switch.
The car electronics then check for correct code then switch the immobiliser off so the car can be started.
There have been a whole series of immobiliser electronics designs over recent years such as key pads.
The more modern systems such as your C5 has a dedicated computer in the car dash.
On of the functions of the computer is to run the immobiliser so it is programmed with a unique immobiliser code number.
When the ignition is switched on the computer powers the immobiliser check circuit and asks to be sent the immobiliser number that is in the key case or head.
It does this via a short radio link. There is an areial coil around the ignition switch barrel that sends out this signal.
In the key head there is a matching minature aerial and computer chip.
The signal is strong enough to generate power to run the computer chip.
The chip is programme to transmit back its unique code number then shut down.
The car computer checks the two numbers are the same and only then powers on the car ignition allowing the car to start.
Early versions of these key computer chips were factory coded and could not be changed but there were only a limited number of codes used.
These chips were usually found fixed in the key case and could be moved to another case.
The more modern versions come uncoded and need to be coded to correct code using a special machine.
They are also usually permanently sealed into the key case or head.
In the case of Citroen that coding machine is the LEXIA which a number of FCF members now have.
The key computer chip is a code once only device.
This means that if you write in the wrong number with the LEXIA you cannot overwrite it with the correct one.
The chip becomes scrap and the key lock operation only, it cannot start the car.
The LEXIA programme has protections for key chip against programming mistakes but will take any valid code number not just the cars unique one.

Sorry to be a bit long winded with this but I have tried to put up a complete summary.
I find that many of these key replacement postings grow with bits and pieces added but seldom provide a complete picture.
Add in the fact that each individual Plip, immobiliser and key type needs its own peculiarities understood and treated seperately.
As a result one persons experience though perfecty valid for their own car may be a red herring for another posting.

John
Xmexclusive
garrydog
My Cars:

Post by garrydog »

Thanks John for a brilliant explanation I have a Lexia and I have obtained the four digit pin number so all I need is a cut key with chip in it .What do you think about these people or am I better going to Citroen,
http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/products/Ci ... y-SX9T.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I obtained the pin from here,
http://www.garageforum.co.uk/forum/29-c ... hread.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please introduce yourself to the forum first.

David .
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi David

PM me with your address and I will send you an uncut, unprogrammed immobiliser key.
It is Citroen part number 9926.LH and came to me in a big parcel of NOS Citroen bits.
As far as I can tell it will suit your C5.
I was going to use it as a plain key for one of my XM's and that would be a waste.
You can then try your hand at programming it and the only cost is going to be getting the blade cut.
Read up on the programming and make sure you include your existing key when using the Lexia.
The cost to you will be that you write up on here (good or bad) how you get on so others may gain as well.
If you want to double check the Lexia bit before you commit then look on here for someone in the Lexia list that has programmed C5 keys.
I am sure they will help if they can.

John
Xmexclusive