Xantia hydraulic fluid leak in the interior

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rd27

Xantia hydraulic fluid leak in the interior

Post by rd27 »

Hello folks, i'm new around here. I've got a Citroen Xantia 1.9D and I recently noticed the drivers side footwell carpet was greasy and wet, so I did some investigation by lifting the carpets and found the foam soundproofing is full (literally, if you squeeze it your hand is filled) with oily fluid (which i'm guessing is LHM)
Can anyone shed some light on the problem and the cure, i've tried searching but with no avail. Do you think it could be a leaking seal on the brakes or steering etc?
Many thanks,
Ryan :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Xantia hydraulic fluid leak in the interior

Post by myglaren »

Classic symptom of the brake doseur valve or pipes leaking.
If you are lucky it will just be a displaced return line.

You will though need to remove all the contaminated soundproofing or it will turn into an absolute unholy mess as the LHM dissolves it.

Someone who really knows the score will be along soon with a description of how to rectify the problem but full details of the car will help, some are more difficult to access that others but I believe that none are easy if you need to replace the doseur.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

here is price and part No.'s of the two parts you require from the dealer

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
5424455 CNTRL-UNIT RING 4.82 GBP 5.78 GBP 5.78 GBP

95640067 BRAKE PROTECTOR 7.99 GBP 9.59 GBP 9.59 GBP

the part citroen call the brake protector is the rubber dome which the brake pedle plundger push's against,

it can be fitted from under the bonnet without disconecting any pipes if you are carefull,

the gain more space behind the engine you will need to remove the intercooler ductting/pipes,

then iside the car you will find two 11mm nuts against the bulkhead behind the brake pedle, undo both of these, now you can pull the dosour valve away from the engine bay side of the bulkhead, now gently rotate the dosour valve so not to damage the pipes attatched to it,
once you have the end faceing you that would normaly face the pedle/bulkhead you can prize out the alloy retaing colar/ring, then the rubber dome can be pulled out,

re/fitting is a reversal,

regards malcolm
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0928516959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Fitting a whole valve may be easyer... however, theres the process of bleeding the brakes from the doser valve to the calipers afterwards to remove and air from disturbing the pipes...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
rd27

Post by rd27 »

Thankyou very much with your swift replys guys, i'll get the parts ordered and tackle the job on my days off. Anyone got any tips for getting the LHM out of the carpets and soundproofing?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wear plastic carrier bags over you shoes :shock: :twisted: :roll: #-o :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The only way to clean the carpet of LHM is to have it out and wash it...

The foam underlay is a bit tricker and in the past I've sponged it between newspaper to rid it of as much LHM as possible.

The sound deadening on the floorpan will be found to be a horrible, black mushy mess as LHM attacks it. Best to scrape it off and put a new sheet on or put a [piece of polythene sheet over it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dangerousbrian
My Cars:

Post by dangerousbrian »

I have experienced this same problem first hand myself in the past & fitted a new brake doseur valve, it can be difficult to pull them pipes out from around the valve, remember if you change the valve itself to fit new rubbers onto the pipes, theres also a plastic pipe which you take off from the valve, be carefull not to pull on it too hard as a few years later mine sprung a leak.
1996"N" Xantia Dimension Series MK1, 1.8 16v JP4 LFY
rd27

Post by rd27 »

Thanks for the help guys, sorted the valve this morning, by the time I got it off I noticed it was only a broken return pipe, but because I already had the new brake protector (plunger) I decided to fit the new part anyway as well as putting a new piece of pipe in. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :-D

Have you dealt with the oily carpet?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it not usual for citro blood to fill the foot well if the leak is at the engine bay side of the bulkhead :? ,

so either the return pipe split on rotating the dosure valve, or you have two leaks,

i would have put my bottom dollar on the rubber protector leaking

regards malcolm
rd27

Post by rd27 »

Yeah, I took it out, de greased with Auto Glym engine and machine cleaner, power washed, scrubbed with Auto Glym interior shampoo, powerwashed again (both top side and foam underneath) and I left it to hang from my greenhouse roof to dry for a few days. When I came to refit today I put some paper towels down on the floor and jumped on the carpet to ensure all moisture and LHM were out. It was also a nice way of cleaning up the carpet in general (all stains now removed :D) I'm actually considering repeating the same procedure on the passenger side to remove general stubborn stains.

Malcolm - I did change the rubber protector and the pipe just to be sure :)