C5 2.2 - interior temp issues + exterior sensor location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

C5 2.2 - interior temp issues + exterior sensor location

Post by Johnno »

Hi and happy new year.

I've now changed my previous '04 C5 for an '07 estate and I'm pretty pleased, so far. It is the 2.2 173 model VTX+. I expected to find a few faults, which, of course I have and would appreciate some assistance on the following:

1. The passenger side always blows cold and the driver side is rather weak, unless you have it set to 'HI'. Disabling the individual controls makes no difference. Is this likely to be a function of the interior sensor or more to do with the mechanical flap controls? I suspect the latter but I'm assuming I'll need to remove the centre console in either case - is this particularly difficult?
2. The exterior temperature sensor must be situated somewhere on Venus, as it is always showing 70c (though occasionally drops to 67c!) Where is it located?
3. The automatic windcreen wipe function (which, frankly, I've never liked at all), is stuck on basic intermittent and does not adjust for differing rain conditions. Are all the controls for this fitted within the overhead console?

After searching this forum I note a comment that the exterior sensor may have an effect on the interior controls, though I would have thought this would affect both sides equally. Could be a combination of things, I 'spose. Looking at the exterior of the windscreen, it looks as though it may have been replaced in the past, as the bonding on the black surround containing the rain sensors isn't 100% and there is a lighter patch over one of the small lenses. I guess this could be the problem with the wipers, though I'm not clear on how they work.

Any pointers much appreciated, cheers.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: C5 2.2 - interior temp issues + exterior sensor location

Post by CitroJim »

And a happy new year to you :-D

Can't help with anything else sadly but Mlkey in another thread reveled the location of the external air temperature sensor....
mlkey wrote:The external air temperature is taken from a sensor on the underside of the door mirror housing.
If the automatic wipers in the C5 are anything like the Xantia then the sensor has to be pressed very close to the glass to work properly and this involves (I believe) using new and very thin sticky pads. Sounds like the screen installer was not au-fait. A search should throw up some threads about it. Again, I cannot comment on the C5 but in the Xantia the automatic wipers work excellently when the sensor is properly installed and are an absolute boon.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Re: C5 2.2 - interior temp issues + exterior sensor location

Post by Johnno »

Thanks, CitroJim - that must be what the little bump under the NS wing mirror is for. I know that this car had the wing mirrors replaced and the near side mirror has the additional aspherical area normally found only on the driver's mirror. I'll be changing that as it makes judging when to pull back in after overtaking rather awkward, so will look at the sensor then. I'm definitely suspicious of the screen bonding and will investigate further.

Ta.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate