belt length without A/C

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axford

belt length without A/C

Post by axford »

Hi all, I have a 2001 citroen c5 110 8v. Does anyone know if I can take the air con pump off and fit a belt without it. I never use it and its screaching . If anyone has done this do they know the belt length and maybe where i can get one ? I had a look at a 306 hdi engine the other day and it looked right ????? Many thanks for your help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: belt length without A/C

Post by CitroJim »

Have a look at this thread. It relatres to a 1.9TD but I reckon it might well be applicable to the HDi the belt runs are very similar.

Basically, to work out the belt length, user a piece of wire over the run and then measure it. Deduct about 20mm or so for the tensioner to have enough travelk to be effective.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Your point about the belt screeching makes me wonder whether the A/C pump is the source of the problem or whether it's the bottom pulley which is made of two pieces joined together by rubber, they are a well known cause of failure so I'd check that first, this can be done by painting a line across the two sections of the pulley then running the engine for a while to see whether the lines move (CitroJim tip :-D )
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:Your point about the belt screeching makes me wonder whether the A/C pump is the source of the problem or whether it's the bottom pulley which is made of two pieces joined together by rubber, they are a well known cause of failure so I'd check that first, this can be done by painting a line across the two sections of the pulley then running the engine for a while to see whether the lines move (CitroJim tip :-D )
Worth investigating, that's what's up with mine and needs sorting soon.
Had the pulley, tensioners and idlers checked and a new belt fitted, screams like a banshee sometimes.
Ascending 11 floors of a multi story hospital car park was rather embarrassing to say the least.
Strangely enough the descent was silent.
axford

Post by axford »

Its definately the a/c pump and i dont want to take the pump and belt off to measure until I have the correct one to put on if poss. Will do a bit more research on the 306 I think but if anyone knows for def that would be great. Thanks all so far though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

axford wrote:Its definately the a/c pump and i dont want to take the pump and belt off to measure until I have the correct one to put on if poss. Will do a bit more research on the 306 I think but if anyone knows for def that would be great. Thanks all so far though.
I reckon if you do as the linked thread says (salient part quoted below) and get a 6PK1130 you'll stand a very good chance of being OK.
On the 1.9TD/2.1TD the A/C compressor can be bypassed by removing the eccentric (lower) tensioner complete and fitting a 6PK1130 belt running as follows:

HP Pump -> under automatic tensioner -> crank pulley -> alternator -> HP Pump.

The automatic tensioner will tension the belt and although there does not seem to be too much belt area in contact with the alternator pulley it seems to work OK.

I can't say for certain if this is good for the HDi but as it's a similar setup, it may well be OK.
Getting an auxillary belt on and off an HDi is a piece of cake... I see no problem in popping it off to take a measurement...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
axford

Post by axford »

ok will give it a go. Actually I have awful trouble with the belt everytime its off even with the tensioner loose I have to turn the crank nut to get it on.Must be the wrong size.Fancy trying that belt though as it seems cheap enough.Many thanks for your help and will let you all know.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

axford wrote:ok will give it a go. Actually I have awful trouble with the belt everytime its off even with the tensioner loose I have to turn the crank nut to get it on.Must be the wrong size.Fancy trying that belt though as it seems cheap enough.Many thanks for your help and will let you all know.

Ahh :idea: The belt will be difficult if you're trying to get it on just by loosening the eccentric tensioner. There's a spring-loaded automatic tensioner above it and with that released the belt is dead easy to get on and off even wiithout touching the eccentric. Use a 15mm spanner on the hex in the centre of the spring tensioner pulley and pull toward the front of the car to release the tension. There's a hole in the tensioer periphery to allow it to be pinned in the 'off' position. The tensioner spring is strong and I find it best to use a 15mm combination ring spanner with another (say 22mm) spannger in the OE jaws to effectively make the spanner longer and give it more leverage..

It's easy to miss the spring tensioner as it looks just like another jockey wheel...
Jim

axford

Post by axford »

Aha , that makes sense now . god if that works it'll save me loads of hassle. Thanks a million