fuel pump removal????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bikerbadge

fuel pump removal????

Post by bikerbadge »

hi people im gunna be removing my fuel pump from my 2002 2.0 hdi c5 in the morning but have never tried removing one before can somone gimmi a clue on where to start please ie does it twist n pull to remove or is it screwed/bolted in please
many thanks paul
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX
"02" Citroen C5 (current)
and various other makes n models
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: fuel pump removal????

Post by VertVega »

I'll write some short instructions based on my Xantia experience. They are also valid for C5 :)

To start with, first lift the rear seat (fuel filling side). Under the seat you'll see the round plastic cover.
After removing it pump, connections, plug and etc. can be seen. Haynes would say that before starting
this job, disconnect battery negative terminal :)

The most difficult part of the job is to remove the black fuel tank ring.
Counter clockwise to unscrew it. I don't know what is the "official" tool for that.
Unplug electric connection and disconnect 2 connectors of fuel line.
Under the ring there is a seal (diam. round 13-14 cm) which must be refitted when you
are putting back everything in reverse order.

Taking the pump out of the tank would be also challenging but I'm sure you'll figure it out
by trying different variations.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Haynes suggests hammer + screwdriver, which is what worked for me. I used a fairly hefty hammer - possibly the 4lb one. The fuel pipe connectors will turn within the pipes if you need to get access to the pressy bits to allow them to be released. Putting the seal back in the right place is the second most difficult bit after removing/refitting the ring. Before you start might be worth noting where the ring is and how far you have to turn to get it off.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Good advise VertViga, & Evilclive. I found that disconnecting the wiring to the tank and allowing the engine to run for 10 minutes (or until engine cuts out) prior to removing the black fuel tank ring -depressurizes the tank and makes removal easier. A hammer and a piece of timber worked for me when I replaced my Xantia pump. Also when replacing the '' black fuel tank ring'' be extremely careful to get it on the proper tread. Also take care if filling up with fuel afterwards - that the BLACK FUEL TANK RING is properly tightened, otherwise you will have a fuel leak around/under your rear seat.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Ah, running the engine. Tricky with a bust lift pump :-)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Opening the filler will neutralise any pressure differences between the tank and atmosphere.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

You are probably right evilclive. My only experience with a pump was the older Xantia (pre hdi days)., and what myglaren says is true. re opening the filler. I think I recall running the engine on the advice of a haynes manual - years ago.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Something that always worked for me is getting two of you, and two big flat bladed screwdrivers. If each of you are 180 degrees out from eachother, so you're effectively pushing towards eachother, but 180 degrees out, it should come off nice and easily, it may need a hammer initially though 8-)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You need to be careful if using a hammer on the ring, it's quite easy to chip off all the lugs if the ring is very tight, much better to knock up a tool to undo it, I believe that somewhere in the threads on here there is a post describing how to make one out of wood.

This is the Citroen tool:

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bikerbadge

Post by bikerbadge »

well i sorced a new pump and with the help of you guys i got it fitted with ease
many thanks
paul
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Great- fill it to the top, to make sure that you have no leak, but no problem only you will need to re-tighten the cap.
bikerbadge

Post by bikerbadge »

lol id love to fill her to the top jmd but at £110 to do so aint gunna be happening soon lol cheers people
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX