XANTIA 1.9TD '94

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hans
My Cars:

XANTIA 1.9TD '94

Post by Hans »

1)When I pull the oil measuring stink from its house, air is comming out of this hole. Is this normal or might this be a leak?
I noticed a tube going back to the air inlet to burn the fumes, maybe the pressure comes back from the air-inlet?
2)hen the return tubes (not feeding!)from the diesel (injection) nozzles are old and leaking (hear a sissing noise when engine is just of), does this lead to bad starting of the engine?
3)What should the tension be on the multi-purpose belt?
My book suggest to put a pin trough a hole on the spanner and when the new belt is tight enough you should tb able to easily pull the pin out again. I feel my belt is to tightened this way. Is this really the way to do it?
Hans
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hans -
1) Unless the oil dipstick is rocketing up your face - this should be considered normal [:)]
Some combustion pressure escapes past the piston rings to the sump - and is pressed out where possible.
2) No - this is the low pressure return paths for the fuel - simply replace the old rotten hoses.
3) Not sure on your '94 TD engine - later PSA diesels have automatic belt tensioning. As a rule of thumb you may check the belt tension like this :
On the longest run of the belt - it should exactly be possible to twist the belt 90deg - using normal finger forces - then the belt tension is within spec.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

[quote]Originally posted by Hans[/i
3)What should the tension be on the multi-purpose belt?
My book suggest to put a pin trough a hole on the spanner and when the new belt is tight enough you should tb able to easily pull the pin out again. I feel my belt is to tightened this way. Is this really the way to do it?
[/quote
Are you referring to the auxilary drive belt here - or alternator belt, as it's sometimes referred to? If so, on the Xantia there are various designs of tensioner, and even some with manual adjustment. But tension is correct when on the longest run you have 5mm of movement under thumb pressure. Get the belt too slack and it will slip and squeal.
Hans
My Cars:

Post by Hans »

Thanks for the replies.
2) I replaced the tubes for blanc tubes. Now I see air bubbles in the return hoses from the nozzels, which are still there after a ride!
Is this normal, I would suppose there should be no air at all?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hans -
- this is normal [:)]