fuel pump problem :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bikerbadge

fuel pump problem :(

Post by bikerbadge »

hi there
Well this morning my car refused to start grrrrrrr, so for the past couple of days i have noticed that the fuel pump was making a loud whirring noise and went to the car this morning and the fuel pump just was not working so i walked to work and just got home in my split shift n went straight to the car put the key in the ignition and turned it on n the fuel pump made a quick noise n then stopped so i tried to start the car n it nearly fired so i defo got a fuel pump problem
Has any one got any advice as to what i can do or the best place to source a new part please any advise would be appreciated
many thanks paul
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX
"02" Citroen C5 (current)
and various other makes n models
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: fuel pump problem :(

Post by CitroJim »

Paul,

What car and engine is it please? I suspect it's an HDi...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bikerbadge

Post by bikerbadge »

hi its an 2.0 hdi 2002 c5 lx thanks
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Paul, Yep that's a sure sign the in-tank lift pump is/has failed and must be replaced. There's no way it can be repaired.

I don't know if this applies to the C5 but you may find there's a big rubber bung under the back seat carpet that gives access to the top of the tank and the pump/sender unit therein. It's secured (if similar to say, a Xantia) by a large threaded collar (ring) which unscrews and allows the pump, after disconnection on the pipes and wiring, to be lifted out. Can a C5 owner confirm please that this is the case?

When replacing the pump it is also highly recommended that the fuel filter and housing complete should also be replaced. Reason is that fine metallic particles from the pump breaking up may have made their way up to the filter housing and if these get into the HP pump and injectors they'll do extreme damage. It's very difficult to adequately clean the filter housing of those particles and it's therefore, for peace of mind, best replaced.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bikerbadge

Post by bikerbadge »

well i just had a look on ebay at new pumps n im just wandering if the 2.2 hdi one will fit my 2.0 hdi or if anyone knows if a pug hdi pump will fit mine
thanks
"92" Citroen ZX
"93" Citroen ZX
"97" Citroen ZX
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Eurocarparts have them but they seem to have shot up in price.
GSF carry them too but good luck with their website - a phone call would be better if there is on in your locality.

I looked at these a couple of years ago and they were in the region of £80.
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

Hi There,
Changed the lift pump on my xantia just before chrimbo! got a new pump off the net for 120 quid (main stealer wanted 250plus!!)
I think it was a company called car parts4less?.
Pump was easy enough to change and i also changed fuel filter etc.
New pumpwas a genuine bosch one as well, couldn,t find one cheaper elsewhere!
Hope that helps!
regards
Steve (aka carpysmith)
Xantia 2.0 hdi sx (estate)