Quickie question please/steering column control stalks??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Quickie question please/steering column control stalks??

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, does anybody know if the steering column control stalks are identical on S1 & S2 xantias please
ie is/are the wiring/connections the same for both?

I have to source some replacements as both my Dads VSX S1 and my SX S2 arms are giving out, spray them with switch cleaner and they work for a while then quit again. they are easily removed/replaced without removing the steering wheel.

My Dad is looking for the left hand arm for the S1 and I would like a right hand arm for the S2 the only difference I can see is
the S2 has a switch on the end of the stick for the rear heated screen this is present on the S1 but it seems to be redundant.

your advice as always is appreciated.

thanks in advance Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Quickie question please/steering column control stalks??

Post by CitroJim »

Late S1 and S2 LH (Indicator/Lights) should be the same Nigel but early S1 ones are different as they didn't have the fogs switch.

S1 and S2 RH stalks will always be different for as you say, the S2 has the push switch for the HRW and also the S2 has no variable intermittent wiper control on the stalk. For the S1 VSX you need the stalk with this and they are a VSX/Activa/S1 Exclusive only component so not so commonly available.

Hope that helps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

sorry to contradict My S2 has three speed wipers maybe that is an SX trate,? did you mean that an S! doesnt have three speed wipers my mates LX estate didnt. Now I am confused.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:sorry to contradict My S2 has three speed wipers maybe that is an SX trate,? did you mean that an S! doesnt have three speed wipers my mates LX estate didnt. Now I am confused.
S1's had three speed wipers (intermittent + slow + fast) but on VSX models the intermittent wipe has a variable delay controlled by a barrel mid way along the stalk, on the S2 that barrel controls the rear wiper, the rear wiper on S1 VSX's is controlled by rotating the end of the stalk, totally different stalks.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car

Oh I see that's a lot clearer, thanks. seems I may have a right hand stalk similar to a S1 then on my S2 front wipers three speed and controlled by lifting the whole stalk upward. the barrel in the center controls the rear wiper so this is a S1 stalk then?
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Oh I see that's a lot clearer, thanks. seems I may have a right hand stalk similar to a S1 then on my S2 front wipers three speed and controlled by lifting the whole stalk upward. the barrel in the center controls the rear wiper so this is a S1 stalk then?
If there is no heated rear window switch on the end of the stalk then yes, it's a S1 stalk but not suitable for a VSX model.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Oh I see that's a lot clearer, thanks. seems I may have a right hand stalk similar to a S1 then on my S2 front wipers three speed and controlled by lifting the whole stalk upward. the barrel in the center controls the rear wiper so this is a S1 stalk then?
Sounds the same as Juliet's (S2); down is single wipe (or continuous if held down), up 1 is automatic, up 2 is intermediate speed, up 3 is fast wipe.
Barrel is rear wiper.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

ah I have got the switch on the end for the Rear heated window so its defo an S2 then why oh why cant Citroen make life easy for a change?

thanks for that now the next silly question is can I buy them from anywhere other than a main stealers? maybe GSF?? or not?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:ah I have got the switch on the end for the Rear heated window so its defo an S2 then why oh why cant Citroën make life easy for a change?
Tell me about it! I want to know what they were smoking when they decided it would be sensible to put the heated rear window switch on the end of the wiper stalk! :spineyes:

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:thanks for that now the next silly question is can I buy them from anywhere other than a main stealers? maybe GSF?? or not?
GSF certainly did sell the stalks as to what one though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I want to know what they were smoking when they decided it would be sensible to put the heated rear window switch on the end of the wiper stalk! :spineyes:
Simple French logic... All other rear window functions are on that stalk so why not put the switch for the heated rear window there too. Then they're all together like a happy family...

:roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:I want to know what they were smoking when they decided it would be sensible to put the heated rear window switch on the end of the wiper stalk! :spineyes:
Simple French logic... All other rear window functions are on that stalk so why not put the switch for the heated rear window there too. Then they're all together like a happy family...

:roll:
Yes, but the French also find it logical to eat horsemeat, snails and frogs legs :puke:

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

DickieG wrote:
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:sorry to contradict My S2 has three speed wipers maybe that is an SX trate,? did you mean that an S! doesnt have three speed wipers my mates LX estate didnt. Now I am confused.
S1's had three speed wipers (intermittent + slow + fast) but on VSX models the intermittent wipe has a variable delay controlled by a barrel mid way along the stalk, on the S2 that barrel controls the rear wiper, the rear wiper on S1 VSX's is controlled by rotating the end of the stalk, totally different stalks.
Ive a Customer with an N reg 1996 VSX, but, it has a Stalk Ive not seen before! It HAS got Varible front intermittent on it in the usual place, BUT the END of the stalk twists to operate the rear wiper!

I had an M reg VSX, and the rear wiper and wash was on the dash, and the varible intermittent was in the useual place..

Was the change to stalk another Citroen revision? Ive not seen others with the stalk Ive seen on the N reg car.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

citroenxm wrote:
Ive a Customer with an N reg 1996 VSX, but, it has a Stalk Ive not seen before! It HAS got Varible front intermittent on it in the usual place, BUT the END of the stalk twists to operate the rear wiper!

Was the change to stalk another Citroën revision? Ive not seen others with the stalk Ive seen on the N reg car.
Paul
I think that is the standard configuration for late (upper-spec) S1 (probably from the same point that the fog light switch moved to the other stalk).
Take a look at your Xantia V6!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Oh yes... forgot about that one... never had her on the road long enough to look... besides, shes gone now to a new owner..

Not lost though, I know the fella, and will always have the oportunitie to buy her back when he has finished..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto