Leaking steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Leaking steering rack

Post by Dommo »

Hi all.

This is a Peugeot question however I have posted it in here because I know this gets more traffic than the Pug section.

My old 306 is now my dads car, the PAS fluid has been going walkies slowly over the past few months, we have inspected a few times and it appears to be coming from the the pipe unions that go from the steering column bit to the actual PAS ram. IE not the pipe coming from the pump or the one returning to the reservoir.

Does anyone know of any particular leak spots on these things?

The two unions on the upper right (actually on the ram) are OK. The two coming from the reservoir (around the back on the photo) look ok, the two that are undone were wet, however can they be wet because of the square area that the steering column mounts onto leaks?

Any thoughts? Cheers.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Leaking steering rack

Post by Old-Guy »

One problem with oil and hydraulic leaks under cars is the affinity that the damn stuff has for metal; persistent weeps are often not where they appear to be but somewhere else because the howling gale under the car can blow oily liquids not just generally backwards but even uphill. Is fluid dripping/running down from a leak somewhere else?

The pinion shaft (what the steering column connects to) seal is a favourite on many vehicles. Because it points up and back at about 45 degrees, leakage tends to run down towards the underside of the rack but the 'wind' spreads it around.

BTW, a driver in the habit of holding the steering hard against the full-lock stops will make most leaks far worse because doing this causes full hydraulic pressure to be supplied to the rack by the control valve (the round body nearest the camera) - audible as a wet hiss on many cars as fluid at maximum pressure and flow escapes through the pressure-relief valve back to the reservoir. This bad habit can in effect 'create' a leak that wouldn't otherwise be apparent.

Good to see a precision tool in the background.... :lol:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Sorry I never replied to this, we did take your advice Old-Guy, but we were a bit oily when I read the reply and then forgot to reply afterward! I had noticed the hammer but only after taking the photo, I thought it added to the photo quite nicely :lol:

My dad bought a second hand rack off ebay that was meant to be a good one, however it wasn't and leaked. He then found a place near us who sell refurbished racks and fitted one of those, only £70 which surprised us, job done!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Dommo I have had an ongoing leak on my 406.. tried 3 racks now..

It's not relevant now for you.. but I am probably going to approach this in the following way.. car on ramps and a decent clean of all pipes and so on, may pull the gaters off the rack as far as i can.. then fire her up and see what's what..

then maybe, if that fails, I was thinking of having at least the HP pipe pressure tested...

Finally, I may see whether I can get the rack apart enough to change any seals on it..
the car finally failed the MOT on this last year and I need to sort it, whether I keep the car or not..

John