Heater airflow

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Heater airflow

Post by davewithington »

I've got a problem at the moment with airflow through the car.

The windows won't demist properly unless I crack open the rear windows a touch, which leads me to suspect a blocked extractor vent.

It's in the boot somewhere I believe. How do I get at it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Heater airflow

Post by CitroJim »

They're on the sides of the boot Dave. You'll need to pull the boot liner down from each side to access them fully and this means removing the plastic trim around the lower edge of the tailgate aperture and the trim on the sides of the boot up to the back seats. It's all quite a faff really but the liner is stiff and not very amenable to being pulled down.

Once the liner sides are out of the way you'll see the vents as black mouldings, one on each side, held in with three or four Torx screws. Insider are rubber flaps and a grille out into the rear arches and fresh air beyond...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I suppose you don't have your air inlet set to recirculate?

Peter
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

No Peter, I don't

Thanks Jim, give me something to do next week. I'll probably whip the boot liner out - it could do with a good vacuuming
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

davewithington wrote: I'll probably whip the boot liner out
It'll certainly give you something to do Dave. You need to remove the back seats to get it right out...

It's worth checking your flap operation too. I'll come back to that later as i need to take some piccies of the heater box to make it clear for you...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, here's a picture of the flap lever positions when in full demist mode:

The red arrowed lever operating the demist flap must be near horizontal as shown and moves anti-clockwise up to getting on for vertical when demist is right off (i.e full in your face setting. In the setting just off full demist it'll be about 45 degrees.

The blue lever (green arrow) must be right across for full demist operation and only moves when the heater is in full in your face mode.

The cables that operate the levers an suffer kinks, especially in the flaps become hard to move due to the grease on their bearings getting very dry.

Note that in the above picture the car around it has been removed for clarity. Access can be got by removing the wireless, the ashtray and moving the heater slider control box a little. Then by sight and feel you can check the operation. If the red arrowed demist lever is not operating fully then demist performance will be rubbish.
Jim

davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

The car has always demisted very well, it's only in the last month it's deteriorated

Checked both vents at the back, and both are completely clear. I was surprised to find I haven't got a wheelarch shield on the left, which I've not noticed before.

The next stage is to check the heater air intake for leaves - we have lots of trees in the garden and it's possible there's a buildup of soggy leafmould. Worth checking once I can get the wiper arms off.....

I'll report back.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you have aircon, and it would seem that you have, check the condition of the pollen filter, this can make a dramatic difference to the airflow if dirty.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dave, no need to remove the scuttle to clear leaves from the intake. Or perhaps it' just me and my girly hands :lol: :roll:

If yours aren't then enlist someone with girly hands to do the job!
Jim