FAP/dpf

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

FAP/dpf

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I've been building up to ridding the C5 (2002 2.2) of it's filter for a while now, except the sneaky thing outwitted me and stuck up anti pollution and ESP/ASR warnings before I was ready. I've got Galetto and ECUsafe but I think that I'll now need to get a Lexia to reset the warnings before touching anything. If so, after resetting will I need to run the car at all (after either jetwashing or drilling through the filter a bit)? It's been getting a bit sluggish and the economy's been dropping lately.
Oh and while I'm here there's a little warning light on the display: outline of the car, small circle near the rear left wheel, could be low tyre pressure, 'cos that comes up every now and again?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
sirlynedoch

Re: FAP/dpf

Post by sirlynedoch »

Quite possible the FAP is beginning to get blocked.
My FAP got blocked because the small magnet at the fuel filler was not sending Eolys signal to regenerate FAP.
Try driving for a few miles at 70mph to try and regenerate naturally.
Failing that wash out the FAP before doing anything else I would say,,.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Just two observations : Antipollution /ASR/ESR warning is NOT FAP filter related unless accompanied with a "Diesel Filter Blocked" message.
Failure of the fuel cap switch will result in EOLYS not being injected into the fuel. This means that the filter will get choked up with unburnt carbon, IMO it is unlikely that simply back washing a filter in this state will clean it, it will probably require the carbon burning off using a welding torch or high temperature oven to cook the filter to about 550 C at which point the carbon should burn off.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

I'm pretty sure that if you ECUsafe it then any fault codes related to FAP will disappear.
Millerboy79

Post by Millerboy79 »

On a slightly different note, does everyone have one magnet in their fuel cap? I've flushed out my fap and reset the counters in the additive system and noticed that when I left the cap off and put it back on it kept telling me the fuel cap was open, have since noticed that if I point the magnet downwards (in line with the strip in the filler neck) it doesn't tell me the cap is open.
NOW- Renault Megane Scenic RX4 52 plate! 1.9 DCi
C5 2.2 HDi P.O.S Shed on wheels! Ripped from the Citroen factory in 2001! With a manual gearbox! <<<<<<GONE!!!!!
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Not sure if Diesel Filter blocked message did actually come up (I wasn't using the car at the time - I'll find out and post). And I'd much rather just remove the filter than try to clean it, if poss.
If I can get away with ECUsafing it, as is, that would be great.
Haven't had any cap warnings either.
Any one any experience of de-fapping with ECUsafe whilst these warning are up?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi all.
1. It did not display diesel filter blocked at all.
2. Warning has now gone :-k (after restarting to come home from supermarket - 5miles)
Do I get in there quick and ECUsafe it?? (even though I probably would have been ok to do so with the warning on)
3. Ta
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

to be honest if you ecusafe it and it doesn't work it's easy enough to put the original software back on
once you ecusafe it you need to get the FAP removed fairly quickly because it won't be being regenerated so will block up completely eventually
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Monkeyfeet wrote:Hi all.
1. It did not display diesel filter blocked at all.
2. Warning has now gone :-k (after restarting to come home from supermarket - 5miles)
Do I get in there quick and ECUsafe it?? (even though I probably would have been ok to do so with the warning on)
3. Ta
If you use ECU safe to remove rhe FAP stuff it shouldn't make any difference to anything else, whatever bought your warning up will still bring it up if the same conditions are met as the warning was nothing to do with the FAP.
On an older 2.2 If I had to choose just one thing (of the many!) that will intermittently bring up the Anti Pollution warning plus ESP/ASR (usually with LIMP mode) it would be a vacuum leak in the swirl valve / Turbo control system. (no or low vac = high /max turbo boost = Turbo overpressure = Anti Pollution ESP/ASR and LIMP mode).
cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi Chaps,
Just realised that I haven't said thanks for the advice, so thank you!
Not had chance to do much with the C5 but it's time to learn more about swirl valve / turbo control sys access, maybe get around to fixing broken swirl valve cable too. I'd like to post any findings even if just to complete the thread for future ref.
peewee232
New User

Post by peewee232 »

I removed the fap myself last year, aswell as getting an engine remap from a firm from Bradford,. The car has run well since with no issues. I personally opted for the performance remap and the car is a pleasure to drive with no economy loss. The car is a 2001 2.2hdi with just on 64,000 miles on the clock.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi peewee, ta for that. I've since done the deed and got rid of the filter - I've been waiting for the car to clock up a decent trouble free / alarm free mileage, (upto about 600 miles without dpf so far) before posting back here and maybe putting together a guide for any owners that haven''t yet done this. I found that this is not very difficult job to actually do, but I did have to do a bit of research first just to answer all the questions that arise. Searching here on the forum helped of course :)
incidentally do you mind if I ask how much the performance remap cost?
CitroSwede
My Cars:

Post by CitroSwede »

Monkeyfeet wrote:and maybe putting together a guide for any owners that haven''t yet done this.
That would definitely be very helpful for many C5 owners. :mrgreen:
Citroën Xantia HDI -00
Have Lexia..