Xantia heater airflow issues and questions.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mirafioriman

Xantia heater airflow issues and questions.

Post by mirafioriman »

Having fixed the up/down/at you flap and cables recently on my Xantia I noticed that the fan seems to produce more airflow when the temperature lever is in the cold position. The more you move it towards hot the airflow decreases.

Normally I just leave the outside air/recirculated air lever in the outside air position. As it was cold tonight and I needed to defrost the screen when setting off to come home I decided to try setting the airflow to recirculate. The heater fan then seemed to produce more air like it does when the temperature lever is in the cold position.

Any ideas?

I should say it's an early diesel mk1 without air con or climate :)
Former Proud owner of a 1994 Citroen Xantia 1.9d and BX 19RD

Now driving an Alfa 159 but god I miss the Xantia!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia heater airflow issues and questions.

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's about right. In the cold position the airflow completely bypasses the matrix and has a very easy and direct flow to the outlet ducts. On full hot it has to blow through the matrix and turn a tight corner...

The second might be to do with your air intake having a collection of leaves on the grill... Look under the scuttle panel on the passenger side and you'll see the air intake. When in recirculate it draws from under the dash through a bigger hole than the fresh inlet which again has a bit of a bend and a small constriction...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks,

Having already sorted the scuttle panel job last week I took the oportunity to check the air intake grille and all was clear. Tomorrow assuming it's dry I plan to drop the headlining to sort the water leak so I might drop the fan motor too and have a look in there and check all is clean and clear. I do remember when I got the car there was a collection of leaves in the scuttle that I cleaned out :)

My fan appears to work ok on all speeds but I'm unsure if it has had the relay mod done. I've had the covering down under the blower fan and don't remember seeing any evidence. I guess when I repair my battery earth clamp tomorrow that will help too :)

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The relay can be fitted in the steering column surround.
Also check the state of your pollen filter while you're under the passenger side of the dashboard :)

Never ever try and change the air flow external/recirculate when the fan is running at full speed, the air pressure is immense and fights against the flaps often resulting in bending the control cables (which is why they need replacing eventually)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't aware the non-aircon cars had a pollen filter? If mine does I will guarantee it's blocked as I doubt it will have been changed for a while.......

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ah didn't know you had a non-aircon.
I believe you are right regarding the lack of a filter.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's right, no pollen filter in a non-A/C car and the fan speed is controlled by a resistor pack...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Also you don't notice the air flow so much when its warm.

Peter
mirafioriman

Post by mirafioriman »

Been Xantia working most of the day but no progress on the heater issue. Update to another thread soon :)